Sunday Randomness - 1999 Bowman Football

 Happy Sunday Fun Day!  Well if you're a Vikings fan, it's not so fun.  Since yet another debacle of epic proportions has befallen the purple faithful, I had to revert to a more pleasant time.  Today's random box of cards is the 1999 Bowman Football set.  


This is a great looking glossy set, which I had the good fortune to pull from a binder of cards I had purchased a long time ago.  I didn't even realize this set was nestled in the back of the binder when I took it home.  Loaded with rookies (though not many will make the Hall), this 220 card set features a classic pigskin design element on the front and back.  I'm not crazy about the vertical team name and position on the front but each card features a nice action shot.



Here we have a nice Culpepper rookie.  I remember going to a preseason game and watching him take the reigns against the Chargers.  After watching that game, I was pretty sure he would never make it in the NFL.  Glad I was wrong as he had a breakout year in 2000, even making an appearance on the cover of Sports Illustrated.  His best season was in 2004, but Peyton Manning had an arguably better season and took home the MVP award.  

The back of the card features a smiling Culpepper a few seasons before Carolina blew his knee up.  It was a shame to see and hard to watch at the time.  He was never really the same after that and never came close to posting the same numbers we saw in his first few seasons.


I think Edgerrin James is the only rookie from this year's batch to make the Hall of Fame. He had an incredible career for the Colts. Of course, having the benefit of playing with Peyton Manning doesn't hurt either.  Unfortunately for James, he missed out on the Colts Super Bowl win in 2007.  However he was on the Super Bowl roster with Arizona in 2008 (losing to Pittsburgh). James rushed for over 12,000 yards in his career earning him a trip to the HOF in 2021.

Overall, I think this set was a pretty good find and a very nice unexpected surprise.  The design is solid, the back is easy to read (including the card numbers) and the photography is great.  If there's one drawback to pick on, it would be the pigskin border which will show chips very easily.  I don't mind overlooking a chip or two in a solid set such as this.


Comments