Sunday Randomness - 1999 Fleer Ultra WNBA

I dug a little deep into the collection and pulled a box of cards I haven't seen in quite awhile. Inside I found 3 sets of WNBA cards so I pulled one out for this post. It's not every day I see anyone blogging about WNBA cards. We can't blog about the guys all the time can we? 

This set is 125 cards strong, with the final 25 cards dedicated to the rookies. Speaking of which, my set is missing the rookies! Oh great another set that I need to complete! Maybe I'll add this to my resolutions for 2022. 

The set also features several horizontal oriented cards such as this. Here is hall of famer Rebecco Lobo battling under the rim. I like the borderless photos and the script font. While it really doesn't come out in the scan the player and team names are nice and shiny, almost foil like.

Some of the photos attempt to capture a lighter side of the game. Umeki Webb is showing off the guns in this photo. The Mercury didn't win the championship that year, but this looks like a celebration of sorts, possibly a playoff game.

The set also features a few inserts and subsets. Above are hall of famers Sheryl Swoopes and Lisa Leslie. As you can tell, Fleer also fell into the trap of using similar style photos. 

Here the card backs feature career stats (which isn't long since the WNBA was formed in 1996), biographical information and tidbits about the player. I really like the team color coordination but the headshot above the card number seems really odd to me. That teeny tiny headshot really doesn't need to be there. I would have been happier with larger card numbers. 

While this set is very affordable, a quick look around auction sites indicate the rookies and a few inserts (especially auto's) will set you back a few bucks. Despite that, its a strong set loaded with WNBA stars, a few hall of famers and a fun set to collect. Now if I could just finish off those rookies.

Comments

  1. As much as I love collecting baseball cards... I really love reading non-baseball card posts. I opened up some of this stuff back in the day in hopes of pulling a Chamique Holdsclaw. Pretty sure the rookies were short printed. If so, that would explain why those are missing from your sets.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There used to be a few bloggers who were into WNBA cards, and would occasionally posts on them, but they've all since moved over to the Twitter.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I run an occasional WNBA post but they are quite hard to find for me so I don't have much I can post. I like this set a lot but only have a small handful I've gotten over the years. I think I do have a Gold Medallion in my tradelist though, somehow managed to get more than one copy.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment