Sunday Randomness - A Fun Oddball, 1981 Fleer Football

I remember opening packs of these cards way back in 1981.  Fleer was relatively unheard of, and upon seeing an alternative to Topps I decided to spend some hard earned paper route money on these.  I wasn't sure what to expect, but I remember kind of being disappointed these were game shots and not individual player cards.  I thought the glossy card stock was nice, but the grainy photos and generic feel to these didn't earn Fleer any kudos from the kids in my neighborhood who collected.

Many of these cards got stuffed away in a box or used in the bicycle spokes (they didn't sound any different than Topps).  Recently I came across this at a card show and decided to revisit the set.  Thanks in part to the technology available today, I can scan and blow up these photos to reveal things I never noticed before.  It has made me appreciate these cards much more than I did back then.

You just don't get action shots like this anymore.  Look at that snow!  It appears Denver and New England were having some fun.  Based on the uniforms it looks like a home game for Denver.

Freeze the kicker!  Houston probably could have had a better photo chosen to represent their offense.  It looks like a time out was called at the last second before the field goal was attempted.


Of course, Fleer managed to work in an appearance by Walter Payton.  I love how he's eyeing the end zone and #72 of the Packers is desperately trying to dive in to stop him.

Each team in the set has 2 cards, one for the offense and another for the defense.  The back of the cards provide some interesting stats.  Nowadays, I think any QB that passes for only 2800 yards might be looking for a new job.

There are also 15 cards representing each of the first 15 Super Bowls.  Above, I scanned the first 4 cards, each shot is unique in its own way.

The remaining 17 cards in the set are something you won't find in any other set.

Seriously?  Who makes a card titled "souvenir"?  Looks like some fans having fun on a warm day.  Possibly catching a football after the point after or field goal.

If I'm reading the number correctly, that may be Rams RB Elvis Peacock laying on the ground.  He lasted 2 years with the Rams.

Not all cards are landscaped oriented.  Here is a card devoted to the National Anthem.  This appears to be a home game for the Chargers.  

There's alot going on here while the refs sort out the pile.  Lee Roy Selmon standing in the middle and a possible sign for him just above.  Then you have the NFL Today advertisement.

I'm not sure what to make of this one, but I kind of like it.  Where else are you going to find a card conveying the field conditions better than this?

Here's a look at the back side of the Super Bowl subset and the remaining "oddball" cards in the set.

Though not heralded as one of the all time great sets, this 88 card set has a lot to offer once you get past the quirky quips and grainy photos.  Anyone who appreciates stadium backgrounds in baseball cards should certainly appreciate this set.  You get a view into stadiums long gone and adds of beer and cigarettes.  Look closely and you'll see many great hall of fame players.  These cards won't end up in the bicycle spokes anytime soon (not that I ride alot anyway).

Quick update: I'm tardy getting cards out to anyone who claimed a few from earlier posts.  I finally have some mailing supplies and will be hitting the post office this week.


Comments

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Apparently that's Craig Morton. The same number as the guy who replaced him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you are correct. That photo may actually be from 1979, because according to Pro Football Reference, backup Matt Robinson started against New England (at New England) in 1980. The Denver weather in 1979 was 35 degrees on Nov 4, which would have made it perfect for snow. Craig Morton did start that game.

      Delete
    2. I have a few of these. They are fun cards, though I can see how kids might be a bit disappointed if they are used to individual player cards.

      Delete
  3. Cool set. I like the souvenir, mudders, and National Anthem cards the most.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment