Cooling Down with Topps 1972-73 Hockey Set

 

I've been lagging behind on posts recently, mainly due to prepping for my daughter's recent grad party.  We had planned for all sorts of things, but can one really plan when the weather people call for 100 degree temps?  Thankfully the weather people were wrong and the party went off without a hitch (well, mostly).  There was a day or two when the A/C decided to give up and in a panic I called the fixit folks who worked their magic.

When temps are pushing 95 consistently, cranking the A/C is one of life's greatest pleasures and so is looking through a set of cards about a game that thrives when it's cold outside (at least, when it's not playoff time).  It's times like that when I wish it was possible to permanently store my collection in a controlled environment, because you know these old vintage cards love the humidity.  

I couldn't skate when Topps released this hockey set in 1972.  In fact, I'm pretty sure I wasn't aware hockey existed back then.  Thankfully I grew old enough to recognize this is a pretty darn cool set.

Where to begin?  The border color is subdued and not overpowering, the player name and team logo is large and easy to read, and though I'm not a real fan of the vertical team name, it works with this design.  Perhaps one of the reasons I like this set is because the design reminds me of Topps 1978 football set (though the player name is placed at the top).

Of course, this is another set where Topps cut out the player and used a full color background making this a very colorful set.

The first eight cards of  the set are dedicated to the playoffs and unlike the regular cards, feature full action shots.

The All-Star subset also features full action shots.  This Phil Esposito card is fascinating, as it also features his brother, Tony.

Wait...what's this?  These are action shots!  That's not supposed to be here!

Or here!

What the heck is going on around here?  There are a total 6 cards, not a part of a subset, that feature individual players with action shots, so these players better feel special.  Maybe Topps didn't have a standard posed shot of these guys, so they hustled a photographer to a game and used an action shot.  Keith Magnuson should feel really special because he got the fish eye treatment.  

There's also a subset just for the trophies.  However the card with the Stanley Cup is card #8, making it a part of the playoff subset.

Here's a look at the front and back of a trophy card.  You'll need a magnifying glass to read all the winners for Sportsmanship and Gentlemanly Conduct.

While we're at it, a look at the back of a player card.  Easy to read career stats and a nice little write up on the player.  Being a fan of the North Stars, one might think I'd own the Goldy Shuffle book.  I'm going to have to correct that some day.

Finally, you have to be the Stanley Cup winner to get a team card in this set.

This 176 card set has everything a hockey collector likes to see, though I would have like to see more team cards.  The design is eye catching and unless you're one of those "I've got to have a PSA 10" people, loose cards can be found that won't break the bank.

This is also one of those sets where I filed it away thinking it was complete. Turns out I'm missing cards #55 (Gump Worsley) and #164 (Dennis Hull)!  Ugh!  It looks like I have a new priority.


Comments

  1. I picked up this set a few years ago, right before pandemic pricing kicked in. Unique set that captures what I like of some of the 70s hockey sets. Still love seeing players without helmets, insane. I'd love to chase down the OPC version some day (when sanity returns???).

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't do well in temperatures above 85 degrees. Actually... I prefer it between 55 and 65. Having AC is one of my favorite luxuries in life. I actually would rather have that than collect cards.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't collect hockey, but if I did, I'd be trying to complete the previous years release. I really dig the look of that one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I own that set too and will put it up on the blog one of these days.

      Delete

Post a Comment