Nonsports Nonsense

I'm sorting my through my recent bulk purchase, and thought I'd begin with the box of non-sports cards that I had mentioned at the end of the prior post.  It really hasn't been as bad as I thought it would be.  Maybe I feel that way only because this purchase cost about as much as ordering from the McDonald's dollar menu or maybe its because of the ladies you see above.  Either way, it has been a nice distraction from the typical sports cards.  So let's get to it.

At the bottom of the box there were 5 unique sets.  Let's take a quick look at these.

1995 Graffiti Golden Eye trading cards.  I didn't know this set of 90 cards existed, but I did enjoy the movie.  You can buy a box of these off ebay for about $30 or the set for about $10.  As much as I liked the movie, I really don't need trading cards of 007.  

1995 Skybox Pocahontas set.  Another 90 card set, with 12 pop-ups.  Do I really need a set of cards from this movie?  I've never seen the movie, so the answer should be clear.  However, a look at the photo above shows that someone tried to get $20 for this set, which is admirable, but just not realistic.

1994 Santa Around the World trading card set.  According to TCDB, this is a 72-card set issued by something called TCM.  It's a nice glossy set but I'm not sure what to do with this one, maybe I'll post a few when the holidays come around.

1995 Collect-A-Card Campbell's Soup set.  Another 72 card set that depicts many of the campbell's soup adds throughout the years.  Are these M'm! M'm! Good! ??

1994 Collect-A-Card Coca-Cola trading cards.  Apparently this is a fairly large set, because I only have the 100 card series 3 set.  I enjoy coke, especially with rum.  I also used to enjoy some of their ads, but I do not remember the Julius Caesar ad above which came out in 1968.  Will I really enjoy having cards of Coca-Cola as much as drinking coke?  I think not.


And now on to some really good stuff!



Raise your hand if you've ever watched Skeleton Warriors!

Yep, that's what I thought.  According to IMDB, Skeleton Warriors lasted one season (13 episodes) way back in 1994.  But Fleer was there and produced a couple of sets.  The unopened 5 card set I have is the Luma Bone set sold under the Fleer Ultra label.  Cool cards that have a glow-in-the-dark feature on the back side.  

Here's a look at the back of the card.  You can see the outline of Shriek.

There is also a limited edition, 10 card set called Suspended Animation.  These are clear acetate cards.

For as much as Fleer got creative with these cards, it sure seems like a lot of effort for a series that went nowhere.  The big question is, do I need a set of Luma Bone cards?  Hmmm....

Up next are a couple of cards from a Skybox Harley Davidson set.  Only if you really, really love Harley's you might enjoy these cards.  I don't know why they were in the box.  These are nice sculpted cards, but I just don't need them.

And now for the stars of the show...er post... it's the 1998 Inkworks Dream Girls Insert set!  A bedazzling set of 6 of TV's coolest dream girls!  Before this box showed up on my doorstep, I had never heard of this set.  Apparently Inkworks produced a set called TV's Coolest Classics and this is part of a 6 card insert set.  According to TCDB I'm only a Thelma Lou and Elly May Clampett away from completing this set!

Here's a look at the back of the card.  I had to laugh at the guy in the lower corner thinking of his "dream girl".  Overall the cards are sharp and really put the shine in these former TV stars.  I'm not sure what to do with this one yet, but these might be the coolest cards of the bunch.

So there it is, my first and perhaps only non-sport card post.  If you see anything you might be interested in feel free to inquire, because it may just be available. 



Comments

  1. Those Dream Girls and Coke cards are awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What is this nonsense!?!?! Weird and interesting stuff. I recently came into a few non-sports cards. Maybe I will do my own Nonsports Nonsense post soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Non-sports cards are always a nice break from all the regular sports blog posts, even if the cards themselves aren't my cup of tea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm thinking the same thing. Maybe this won't be my last nonsports post afterall.

      Delete
  4. I'm a nut for glow-in-the-dark cards (link) and would love to work out a trade for the Luma Bone cards.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a few extras so I think we can work something out.

      Delete
  5. TV's Coolest Classics was a pretty amazing set at the time of it's release. It still holds up well, too. The autographs were especially unique back in 1998, as it was the first time people could pull autographs of those particular signers.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The Dream Girls set has a Shirley Booth pinup card that’ll pickle a battleship!

    There’s no mention of Eleanor Donahue on that card. Odd.

    ReplyDelete
  7. If those dream girls are available, I am just seeing this post so they may not be, I would be interested! My email is sportcardcollectors@hotmail.com

    Matt-CardsOverCoffee

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment