$100 Smorgasbord

 

Last week's snowstorm had me feeling all cooped up and ready to get out of the house.  The weather was cooperative and the urge to get out of town and hit up some new to us shops was just too much.  So my brother and I drove about 2 hours north to Duluth, MN.  It had been a few years since I visited the area and there was a card show going on.

The show was held in a local mall.  There were maybe two dozen dealers set up when we arrived.  Unlike last week's show, this was sparsely attended (at least while we were there).  I wasn't finding much in the way of set needs, nor was my brother.  After a couple trips around the tables I struck up a conversation with a dealer.  He had a two row box full of cards.  Mostly vintage on one side and newer stuff on the other.

One thing led to another and pretty soon we had a deal in the making and I was headed out with half of a box of cards.  That box along with a few other purchases added up to my $100 day.

Even my dog was excited to go through these cards.  Though it was a rather impulsive buy.


So what's in the box?  I'll start with these 2022-23 UD hockey.  $5/pack.  And what did this purchase net for me?


A young gun!  Ok, it's not Boldy or Beniers, but not a total bust.


I took this 1956 Spahn home for $35.  It's in good shape with no creases.


This group cost about $20 at a local shop.  The Luebber is a needed '72 high number.

So what else is in the box?


These three 1989 Foot Locker Slam Fest cards.  First time I've seen these cards in the wild and that Deion card is really cool.  


This encased 23k Ken Griffey Jr. card.  Distributed by a company called Bleachers it makes for a unique collectible.  I have a few other gold cards like this buried in my collection.


This group of "rookie" porcelain cards was in that two row box.  We weren't really sure how to price these but I don't mind having them.


A second batch from the box.  Some Shaq rookies, a '78 Rose and a '74 Rose to go along with some Jeter cards and a 93 UD Star Rookie of Michael Jordan.


This batch features the '93 Topps Jeter rookie, some vintage '67's and '68's and an '87 Puckett mini.


And finally a batch of vintage from '52 - '54.  Most of these cards have either been trimmed, damaged or are in rather poor condition.  There were 42 cards from the iconic 1952 set, nearly 10% of the set!  Those are my only cards from that iconic set.  I'm not sure if I'll hold on to those yet.  Obviously chasing a set like that far exceeds this budget.


Then there is this.  A unique collectible in its own right,  Is that 23k gold stamp really worth $30?  
I might hang on to this just for the uniqueness.

So there you have it.  Was it all worth $100?  Go ahead and critique this, I can take it.  😀


Comments

  1. Absolutely! If you decide to forego the 52' set, I'm interested in those "less than perfect" lol.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great stuff! Obviously for me, the Spahn is the coolest, but I really like those porcelain cards. I have the Brooks Robinson from that set or a similar one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just the 42 1952 cards for $100 is a great deal, even in that condition.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's not often collectors add that many 1952 Topps cards to their collection in one day. I'd say you made out like a bandit.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was getting ready to say that $100 was a good price for the Spahn, $20 group, and the Rose/Shaq/MJ group. Then you hit us with those '52s and '54s! I think if you sold just the '52s you'd make back your money, regardless of condition. Not saying you *should* but you *could*.

    $5 a pack for UD hockey seems fair. I knew my LCS ripped me off--and I didn't even pull a YG. I've got a new appreciation for the Coyotes, and you'll see why in my next post.

    Also, I've see that Luebber high# sell for a few dollars on COMC recently. And is the guy above him really named Dick Wood? lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Didn't notice that before, but his name is Woodson. 🤣🤣

      Delete
  6. Definitely worth it. Something about the Bleachers cards makes me like them, I have a few Alomar. Neat that you found some of the porcelain cards, been looking for a while, speaking of Alomar

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'd say that was a good deal. Even trimmed 1952s are special, and the '56 Spahn is great.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment