This Post is for Germany

 

As I was perusing last months blog stats, something unusual stuck out.  The blog was getting a lot of attention from Germany and Sweden.  Perhaps it was accidental.  I don't know if anyone over there collects cards.  Maybe there are some expats?  I don't know if sports cards are even sold there.  Is this hobby "a thing" in Europe?  I have no way of knowing.  

What I do know is that as January progressed, there were a couple weeks when views from Germany accumulated more so than from the United States.  I remain dumbfounded by it and it feels weird.  
But I'll never complain if anyone from anywhere takes the time to read the blog.

So I figured I would share some love (there's your Valentine's day pun) for Germany  by picking a player of German heritage and highlight a few of his cards in this post.  I didn't have to search hard because my hometown team has the perfect person:  Max Kepler.

Kepler was born in Berlin, Germany way back in 1993.  He got his start in a German baseball league with Buchbinder Legionare Regensburg of Bundesliga before signing with the Twins.  

I'll admit, I had no idea a German baseball league existed, but you can check out his team's web page HERE (at least I think this is the right one).

He signed on with the Twins in 2009, making his major league debut on 9/27/2015 as the Twins were eyeing a potential successor to Torii Hunter.

He played in the final 3 games of the 2015 season, going 1-7.  Not exactly lighting things on fire, but the upside was there.  He progressed nicely the next 3 seasons, and in 2019 hit 36 HR's, to go with 90 RBI's while hitting a career high .252.  

Unfortunately, the 2019 season looks like an outlier as a 2020 COVID shortened  season and injuries have cut into his playing time since then.  Hopefully we'll see him rebound this year and help the club win the Central.

To the upper left is a 2016 Panini Armory Booklet 6-patch autographed card numbered to 25.


I have a few of these holiday cards that have a fetching design.  I might have to start collecting more.


My 3rd autographed card of Max Kepler.  This one is from 2017 Topps Finest.  The other autographed card at the top of this post is a 2013 Bowman Platinum prospect numbered to 199.


Finally a 2021 Panini patch card.  The white patch doesn't add anything to the design.

I'd give that patch card away to someone in Germany, but have no idea how to mail anything over there.  Nevertheless, thank you for reading.  Maybe I'll highlight another German born player next month if this keeps up.


Comments

  1. One of my favorite active Twins. That booklet is really pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, views come from everywhere, it's when you see views from Russia and other places that it gets a little concerning. ... In the past I've traded with people who live in England, France, Australia and a couple other overseas places. That doesn't happen much anymore but it was cool then.

    ReplyDelete
  3. When I first started blogging about a decade ago I found it fascinating that I had so many views from Europe and Asia. I don't even check anymore, they're probably bots. But this Kepler content might get some real Germans over here!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Germany comes in at #4 on my blog... behind the US, France, and Canada. Even had a few views from Russia... but like NO pointed out... that's a little concerning.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment