South Dakota Flea Market Finds

 

Over the long Labor Day weekend I spent some time visiting my brother in South Dakota.  It's always fun to get away for awhile and forget about work.  Unfortunately I couldn't catch a cheap flight this time because the carrier (Sun Country) stopped flying to South Dakota.  I checked other carriers and holy cow, the prices were basically double what I used to pay.  So I gassed up the truck and headed west.

While there my brother had a new hiking trail picked out for us to try.  This one was no where near the challenge that Bear Butte presented, but Lookout Mountain (pictured above) was very close to his place and easy to access.  There is a system of trails on this mountain and the trail we hiked was adjacent to the interstate, so road noise was always present.  They also have cattle roaming the area as part of a restoration effort.  I don't know what the cattle added to this area other than a number of 'obstacles' that we had to evade.


Later that day as we returned from Deadwood, we could see smoke rising in the distance.  As we got closer it was clear that a fire had broken out on the same mountain we hiked earlier that day!  Things had been so hot for so long (it was 100 degrees when I arrived) that a bale of hay spontaneously combusted and the fire quickly spread.

We spent that day sitting in the driveway watching all kinds of planes swoop in low, dropping water and fire retardant on the hillside.  When the wind changed direction, we had ash from the fire fall on us.  
By late in the evening the fire was contained (the cattle was safely evacuated).

As exciting as that was, hiking a mountain wasn't the only thing we did.  We also hiked around an old mall that has a flea market.  So I'm going to borrow a phrase from Fuji and show off my own flea market finds.


Find #1:  Ball Street Pocket Price Guide from Jan 1992


The price guide includes large glossy photos of stars from the day including Ken Griffey Jr, Michael Jordan, Wayne Gretzky, Nolan Ryan and more.  This set me back $3.


Find #2:  Premiere Issue of Inside Stuff magazine from 1992


Inside Stuff was produced quarterly and you could have subscribed for $8/yr.  Also this magazine includes the cards!  You can see by the scan this set me back $10 because of you know who.


Find #3:  Legends Sports magazine from Nov/Dec 1991 ($5)


I don't often find these magazine in the wild, but when I do they never have the cards.  I really like the design and of course, its really cool to add another Gwynn, Ripken and Bird to the collection.


These magazines also included postcards!


Find #4:  Legends Sports magazine from Sep/Oct 1992 ($5)


Complete with cards, this issue features Darryl Strawberry, Jordan and does anyone know what happened to Brien Taylor?


And of course more postcards!


Find #5:  Legends Sports magazine from 2002 ($3)


This one was discounted a bit because the cover was ripped off (it was MJ) but at least the cards are still intact.  Being that this was published in 2002, does that Venus Williams card count as a rookie?  Also I love that Bonds with the 73 tribute.


Here are the postcards that were included.


We get a bonus sheet of cards in this issue.  See any future legends?

That it for my flea market finds.  I wish I would have had more time to look around and unfortunately many booths weren't open on the day we visited.  But we did manage to visit a card shop.


For $25, I picked this Ohtani which commemorates his 50/50 season.


I wasn't sure if I had the box set so I for $15 I bought the 1990 Score Rising Stars set.


I thought I needed this 1989 Score Supplemental set which has this famous Bo Jackson.  So for $35 I  bought it.  Then got home and realize I already have it.


Finally, I picked up this colorful T-206.  I thought $60 was right on the money for this card.

And for more on that fire, here's a short video my brother took as we were driving by:



Thanks for stopping by!

Comments

  1. That T206 reminds me that I haven't attempted one of my collecting goals yet.....running out of time now.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment