Storage Wars (kind of)

The collection has been pushed around for years in various states of storage, mostly boxes and bins.  For as long as I can remember, I've pushed boxes around here and there, mix matching sports and never really bothering to get organized.  I'd buy stuff only to toss it in the closet or a bin.  Occasionally I'd pull a box out to peruse through the contents, just to remind myself what I have.  Every now and then I'd find a nice surprise.  I once crafted shelves to store my collection in a closet, which has since been my preferred method.  Its fairly easy to access what I want.  

Maybe you can tell by the photo, I'm not much for binders. I get kind of nervous seeing cards in binders.  I think they are bulky and take to much space.  To many times I've seen cards slip out and get damaged.  I've also seen cards damaged by the 'O' ring of the binder.  Being particular about things, I'd have to make a decision to either use side loading or top loading pages (I like consistency).  I have seen other blogs and articles on the web where someone shows off their collection, wall-to-wall of neatly stored binders organized by sport and year.  That would take way too much time, and besides I have other hobbies to tend to.

I've tried to at least separate the sports in this collection.  Being an all-sport collector has its challenges.  Baseball is usually the largest, with its humongous 800+ card sets, followed by football.  Hockey and basketball typically have smaller sets, and thus the challenge then becomes selecting the proper sized box, then storing it away in a manner that makes sense.  My collection is probably 80% baseball cards, followed by football, then hockey and basketball.  

Maybe over the long holiday weekend I'll spend some time being thankful I have a nice collection to organize.  That or I might curse the monster I've created.  Happy Turkey Day!

Comments