Sunday Randomness - 1997 Collector's Choice Football

Upper Deck Collector's Choice

For some reason this set reminds me of the early 1991 and 1992 Upper Deck football sets. Decent photography and all, but really nothing special. Perhaps that is why this set remains so affordable all these years later.  It has an assortment of insert sets and the first 45 cards are all a part of the "Rookie Class" subset. Also, according to TCDB, there was a mail-in exchange for some foil cards called "You Crash the Game".  

The factory set includes 20 of the Turf Champions which is great and all, but then this subset has a total of 90 players.  I'm not about to take a chance and buy a bunch of factory sets to try and complete this subset. However, somehow I did end up with two of the factory sets and one will likely be vanquished from the collection.

One thing I noticed about this set is that UD dedicated 3 cards in the set to KeyShawn Johnson including one in the "Turf Champions" and "Name of the Game" subsets.

Here's a look at the Rookie Class subset.  Pretty decent looking subset with action shots of the players in their college uniforms. I remember Orlando Pace being the big name of the lot and drafted #1 overall.
Here's a look at the back of the Rookie Class cards. You may note the Dunn rookie is unnumbered.  I'm not sure if this is an uncorrected error or not, but I have not seen a corrected version yet.
Finally, here's a look at the back of a common card. The photo taking up half the space really forced UD to scale down the font size. This scan makes it look easy to read, but in reality a magnifying glass may be in order for a few collectors. 
As far as this set goes, I was able to buy a discounted factory set at a local card shop many years ago. Not so surprisingly it really hasn't appreciated much in value.  I'm happy to have this set and will hold a spot in the collection for it. I'm more happy I didn't buy a single pack to complete it!






Comments