New Resolutions

 It may sound a bit corny with the new year and all, but I don't like making new resolutions just because it's a new year. Who really sticks to that anyway? However, given one of the purposes of this blog is to help me "condense, consolidate and catalog", I figure some resolutions are in order. 

So here we go:
  • Finish 2 of the following baseball sets: 1969, 1970, 1971 or 1972 Topps.
    • I would file this resolution under projects labeled "things I should do but never find the time to do".  I started these sets awhile ago and they've been left to languish ever since. I have boxes and boxes of cards from these years, but I really have no idea how close I am to completing the sets.
  • Finish a shiny new set.  This includes Upper Deck hockey (series 1,2 plus update series including young guns), 2020 Prizm Football (including rookies) and the 2021 Topps 70th patch insert set.
    • I know this goes against my admitted bias against shiny new cards, but I somehow get dragged into new stuff every now and then.
  • Finish the 1986 Fleer Basketball set.
    • Yes this is THE basketball set. I was lucky enough to obtain the big one prior to the pandemic and it is the single most expensive card I have ever purchased. It's not perfect, so I'll still have to pay the mortgage but it's authentic. I have been accumulating this set ever since. Only 26 20 cards left.
  • Reduce my collection by 30k cards.
    • The is where the "condense and consolidate" part comes in. Prior to the pandemic I estimated the collection to be around 250k strong. I know collectors who claim to have a million+ cards, but that's not my goal and 250k is alot of cards to move around. In the past 12-18 months I have sold off or given away about 30k cards.  However recently I've also been growing my collection, so it's time to pare things back a bit.
  • Accumulate more vintage especially from the 1956 and 1965 sets.
    • I've always liked the 1965 set and for some reason never focused on it though I have a few cards in a box somewhere. The 1956 set never really interested me until some guy decided to show off his 1956 set.
  • Organize, organize, organize!
    • My collection continues to be an unmanaged monster. I'm tackling this little by little.
That's it.  Six simple resolutions. I left off the "blog more" resolution because that should be a given. Some of these may even seem a bit on the light side, but I'm guessing the 4th resolution may be the toughest and what good is a resolution if it's unattainable?


Comments

  1. Those aren't on the light side for me!! I'm a $20 per month spender, so most of those set build type goals are waaay out of my wheelhouse. I do hope to enjoy the ride and see what you get this year! If you need to send me 30,000 cards to finish your goals, I would take the hit, LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whoa. Those are some monster sets you're building. I'm building the 86/87 Fleer basketball set too. Missing only one card... and it's the BIG one. In other words... I'm never finishing that set... but I'm happy to own the other 131 cards.

    ReplyDelete
  3. DK - I'll keep you in mind when I'm ready to hit the purge button.
    Fuji - that 86/87 set is a monster on itself. I did land a nice Isiah rookie for $50, but I still need to tackle Olajuwon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Man, I had an Olajuwon a few years ago. It has since mysteriously gone missing. I have absolutely no idea where it went, but I doubt I will ever be able to replace it. Big bummer since Olajuwon is one of my all time favorites.

      Delete
  4. Every time I see people bragging about their million-card collections, I just think "Better you, than me". I also think of that more as hoarding than collecting, and don't envy their relatives when it comes time to go through all of those.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jon - I totally agree. I don't want to saddle my family with having to deal with all this stuff.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment