1992 Donruss Coca-Cola Nolan Ryan Set

While the 1992 Donruss baseball card set won't win many awards from collectors, that summer Coca-Cola paired up with Donruss to produce a special set for Nolan Ryan.  The Coca-Cola Nolan Ryan set is meant to celebrate the career of one of the greatest pitchers of all time.  

Placed within each case of Coke were special 3 card packs, with the Ryan card on top and the other 2 cards were from the regular Donruss issue.  I remember reaching into cases to look for Nolan Ryan cards I didn't have (it was pretty simple back then).  I must have drank an awful lot of Coke back then and one of the driving factors for consuming this product must have been the allure of baseball cards that were included in each case.  Had I known Donruss would issue box sets later that summer it might have saved a trip to the dentist.  Oh, and I still have not seen a complete box set in the wild.

The 26 card set matches the regular Donruss issue from that summer.  The cards retain the 1992 look with the gold border and Coca-Cola logo being the only differences.  

The photos are fairly unique.  Though one particular card closely matches a certain 1974 topps card.

The card back highlights a defining moment in Ryan's career.  It is interesting to note that not even Ryan could avoid surgery in his career.

This is another very affordable, oddball set featuring Nolan Ryan (the other of course was produced by Pacific).  For someone who enjoyed an ice cold Coke (still does), having the double pleasure of cards with my coke made it all the more enjoyable.  It's just too bad this had to be produced by Donruss.

Comments

  1. I remember this promotion pretty well. I got a few cards at the time, but the rest of my peers couldn't have been less interested.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't remember this promotion at all, kind of cool oddball cards of Nolan Ryan. I miss getting baseball cards with random grocery products!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been casually picking up unopened packs whenever I stumble across them. The goal is to one day build a complete set of these unopened packs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some cards were surprisingly difficult to find. I was lucky to complete this.

      Delete

Post a Comment