Topps Project 2020 - Yeah, it's Artsy

 

I may be a bit behind the times, but as far as these "cards" are concerned I was never really interested in them and had no intention of acquiring any.  Being a long time collector of sports cards, I'm almost embarrassed calling these "cards", however I guess they do technically qualify as a card.  I'm pretty good with Photoshop, and my first impression was why in the world would anyone be interested in a Photo-shopped art card?

When I was out and about I noticed some in a case at one of the local card shops.  Maybe I was under the influence when some of these caught my attention, but they were a bit spendy at $20 a card so I passed.  Being a fan of Tony Gwynn, his 'art' card was the first to catch my attention.  Eventually I came around thinking if I could find something more affordable, I'd probably buy it.

Yep I found one.  Actually not just one, but 10 (not all of Tony).  At less then $4 each, I figured why not? If I were to design a Gwynn rookie, this is probably how I would do it.  Apparently the artist Efdot and I think alike.  Palm trees, a beach and the ocean.  I've never been to San Diego but it looks nice and so does Mr. Padre.

I don't own a 1959 Bob Gibson yet, but I have a card that is designed like it.  The card is full of symbolism, but I'm not sure what the muppet looking thing in the lower right corner is supposed to represent.  I'm sure the artist Gregory Siff does.

I thought this representation of the 1989 Topps Traded Ken Griffey Jr was meant in jest.  I mean it's kind of obvious that the artist Keith Shore is a big fan of the Simpsons.  I wonder if Griffey is too.

When I first saw this I thought someone had threaded popcorn on a string and wrapped Jeter like a Christmas tree.  Maybe that was the inspiration behind Ermsy's creation, because Jeter was a gift to New York.  I'm trying to figure out what does the Statue of Liberty and a blimp have to do with baseball and Derek Jeter?  

I don't know if I'll ever own a '55 Koufax, so this is a nice reprint, er, replica.  The artist Naturel has made triangles a language all by itself.  If I didn't have an image of the '55 card I would never be able to interpret this.

This 1987 interpretation adds a little bit of everything into the image.  The artist Andrew Thiele mixed in a lot here.  You get McGwire with the rookie cup, which Topps somehow missed. You get McGwire in the field, standing in the on-deck circle, and career stats.  But the image of McGwire on his own rear end just seems weird to me.

I own one or two of those '82 traded Ripkens, and I find this card somewhat complimentary to it.  I'm not into jewelry, but apparently the artist Ben Baller is and he bedazzled the heck out of this card.

Unfortunately I'll probably never own a true '52 Robinson.  At least the artist Joshua Vides kept the design very close to remind me of that.

This is another that caught my eye.  Having recently acquired a '69 Ryan, I thought I was destined to own this Project 2020 card. King Saladeen didn't make any leaps of the imagination here, as its strictly all Mets and all Nolan Ryan.

Apparently this Mike Trout rookie was in the 2011 Topps Update.  I bought the standard retail set and hung it up.  So I missed out on the Trout sweepstakes, and Blake Jamieson will constantly remind me of this.  At least the card doesn't stray too far from the original design.

That was my foray into Topps Project 2020 - or any Topps Project for that matter.  If I come across any more for $4 I may be tempted again, but I really have no intention of completing a set.  I don't have time for artsy remakes, my vintage cards are plenty artsy for me.


Comments

  1. Don't feel bad about not owning a Gibson RC or Robinson, at least you have multiple Ripken tradeds! That's pretty cool. I feel similar to you about project 2020. If I ever found them for cheap, I may go for it, but not $20 a card.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am with you, i couldn't get into these at firsr, then i had a few come across the trade table and then i grabbed the Jeter seinfeld and felt like i don't mind owning sone funky art cards afterall

    ReplyDelete
  4. As much as I love Gwynn... Ermsy's Jeter is my favorite. I'm with you... I'll pick these up when they're cheap.

    ReplyDelete
  5. They're not for me, but I can see why some folks like them.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm not going to spend $20 on any of these either, but some of these aren't bad and you got a good deal.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment