Sunday Randomness - 1986 Negro League Baseball Stars

 

One of the more obscure sets out there, I obtained this in a lot with other cards and was a bit surprised my low bid held up.  This 119 card set was printed by Larry Fritsch Cards back in 1986 and though I don't think there was ever a great demand for it, this set offers a glimpse of the players from the Negro Leagues.

I recently complained about the washed out look of a certain set but this is worse.  Most of the photos look faded or are just plain washed out.  Also most shots are heads and shoulder poses.  The Thurman card above is probably the best action shot in the set.  However given the time of that era, perhaps there just isn't many good photos available.

Is that Goose Tatum's ghost in the photo?  The back of his card states that Goose was also an original member of the Harlem Globetrotters.

On the bright side, the set is loaded with hall of famers.  

A look at the back side gives us a brief synopsis of the player's career and a list of teams he played for.

I haven't seen many sets devoted to the Negro Leagues and this may be the earliest attempt at one. Its a novelty set that doesn't garner alot of attention. Is it worth it to hold onto?  I'm debating that. 

Comments

  1. I just picked up a '58 Topps Bob Thurman. It's a great card. That's a great one too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Although the photography is lacking... an 80's Negro League set is very, very cool. If I found one at a reasonable price, I'd grab it.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment