THE DIAMOND KING CARD DRAFT

 

I signed up for the recent draft hosted by Kevin of The Diamond King and it did not disappoint.  Unfortunately I wasn't able to draft directly and had to submit my list (I signed in only minutes after the final pick). From what I read the draft was quick.  Kevin did a great job of setting up the post and it looks like he put in a lot of work taking photos of each card (I still can't figure how to insert grids in a post).

I was happy when I saw the draft order - I had the 3rd pick - and figured I had a good shot at some of my favorites.  Today when I checked the mail, there was a nice package waiting for me.  So without much further ado here are my picks.

Pick #1 - Ozzie Smith, 1980 Topps.
I absolutely love this set and couldn't turn down an opportunity for Ozzie's second year card.  

Pick #2 - Sandy Koufax, 2013 Topps Upper Class Insert.
This is my first card from the set.  I didn't collect much in the 2010's but I like the look of this.

Pick #3 - Gerry Arrigo, 1970 Topps.
Harkening to my vintage preference, this should serve to upgrade my current version.

Pick #4 - Buddy Bell, 1975 Topps Mini
I own maybe 2 cards from this set.  Make that three.  This is a slow build.

Pick #5 - Kobe Bryant, 2010-11 Panini Update.
Kobe at pick #5?  Yes please.

Pick #6 - Tony Gwynn, 1992 Fleer Ultra Tony Gwynn Commemorative Set.
In my opinion, a classic card of one of baseball's best.

Pick #7 - Cal Ripken, 1985 Topps Glossy All Star.
I love these 80's glossy sets.

Pick #8 - Stan Musial, 2021 Topps Allen & Ginter.
I don't own many of these but the set looks enticing.

Pick #9 - David Ortiz, 2013 Panini Hometown Heroes.
My first card from this classy looking set.

Here is part of my list.  I was happy that all of my picks were within my top 14!

43Ozzie
18Oliva
29Koufax
82Arrigo
77Bell
87Bryant
86Yogi
56Gwynn
33Red Sox
10Ripken
17Ryan
90Musial
88Griffey
21Ortiz

I wish I could have drafted these myself as I may have made an adjustment or two on the fly but Kevin stepped in for me and I really appreciate it.  If anything I was a bit disappointed I couldn't land that Oliva card.  Maybe I could have made a deal with Nick to swap cards for a card to be named later or something like that. :)

Overall the draft is a great idea and it's kind of neat to see how everyone's draft evolves.  Also, at least in my case, the variety of cards showcased in the draft allowed me to sample a few from sets that are far from the front of my collecting mindset.  I would certainly be up for participating in another draft, and hope the rest of the participants had a fun time with it.  

Thanks again, Diamond King, for taking the time hosting and setting up the draft!


Comments

  1. Solid draft. Anytime you can land Kobe in the 5th and Gwynn in the 6th... you know you did well. By the way... are you building the 1992 Fleer Ultra Tony Gwynn Commemorative set? If so, email me your set needs and I can probably help you out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Fuji, I'll have to do some checking. I'm not sure if I have any others.

      Delete
  2. I'm amazed that you were able to get so many of your wanted cards without being there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Been away for a while, but thanks for participating!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment