A Second Helping of Post Cereal (1962)

 

I'm really getting into food issued cards lately.   Following up on a recent post where I scored a few really nice Post Cereal cards, I began a search for a few more.  I came across a listing and made an offer.  To my surprise the seller accepted and a package arrived a few days later.  Once again these cards are in really good shape and cutout nicely.  

Ron Santo kind of sticks out doesn't he?  He's the only hitter in the bunch not holding a bat!

There were 14 cards in this order, some Hall of Famers and fortunately no dupes.

The Killebrew from this order matches up nicely with his 1961 Post Cereal card I had in my collection.  Similar pose, but I like the change of caps.  Another thing I noticed is that Post must have changed their cardboard in 1962, because those cards are much more sturdy than the 1961 card.

Felipe Alou was included in that 14 card lot, but I thought I'd also show off some that I found in my collection, including this Koufax card.

A couple more I found in my collection.  I won these in a lot prior to the pandemic.  The Mantle was a bonus, as it wasn't even featured in the auction!  I don't recall how much that set me back but if the Mantle had been featured I may have been priced out of that auction.

I may have begun an accidental project here.  I'm nearly 20% into this set and I'm eyeing up more.  My cost this time around was just over $1/card.  Which was a no brainer to me.  I'll take each and everyone for $1!  I'll be posting a want list soon.  Hopefully I can land a couple more big names from the checklist in the near future.


Comments

  1. I've been selling a bunch of my Post and Jell-O cards, but when I got to the abandoned '62 Post build, I just couldn't bring myself to part with them yet. In my opinion, they are by far the best looking of the Post sets. I have around 60 cards, and despite not wanting to take on any sets again, I am strongly considering going after this one again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Man... seeing that Mantle slide out of the eBay package has to be one of the greatest hobby surprises. I'm trying to think of the scenario behind a seller not listing that card as part of the lot. Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment