I Like Oddballs

 

I like oddballs.  That just feels weird to say, but I've been on a roll lately with these odd sets so why not keep it going?  This post focuses not on a box set, but on a truly odd set.  In fact I don't recall 1984 Ralston Purina cards issued in a complete set.  

Many years ago I chanced upon this set at a card show.  I think it set me back a whole $2.  I'm not sure why it caught my eye, other than I simply hadn't seen it before.  It's a tidy little 33 card set printed by Topps for the Ralston Purina Company.  Though the cards are said to have been issued in cereal boxes, I could swear I also saw these packaged with dog food.  That may be just the Mandela Effect kicking in, but then why is there another parallel set that says "CEREAL SERIES" at the top in place of the Ralston Purina Company?

Even back in 1984, Eddie Murray was still a bad ass.

Apparently looking off in the distance is a thing.  These two hall of famers don't look thrilled to have their picture taken.

I never could get used to Carew with a mustache.  After having to see that in prior years, glad to see he got rid of it.  Another Padre Garvey!  At least Garvey can look off in the distance and smile.

More hall of famers!  Strike a pose Rickey!  This Steve Carlton card is the only action that you get in this set and it's really not a good action shot.  

Take a look at the back.  The Ralston Purina checkerboard logo is prominent. One line of career stats to make room for all the bulleted highlights.

The card number on the front and back of the card is also unique.  Though the cards also state "1st annual collectors edition",  Ralston Purina wouldn't issue another set until 1987.

Overall a fun little set that is loaded (count them, 24 out of 33 players) with hall of famers and I would guess a set like this isn't on 99% of collectors minds, if at all.  Again, that's fine by me, the oddball sets will have a place in my collection.

OH LOOK!  MORE CARDS TO GIVE AWAY!

3 Random Heritage

3 Random UD Hockey

3 Random football cards

3 Random 1983 baseball cards

First come, first serve.  Don't forget to send me your address.


Comments

  1. I have this set. There are indeed parallel versions with one mentioning Ralston Purina with the checkerboard and one without, saying "Cereal Series." ... Ralston Purina was a pet food company but it also made cereal, including Chex, Cookie Crisp and my brother's favorite when he was a kid, Freakies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OMG I loved Freakies! Totally forgot about that cereal.

      Delete
  2. Were there any Jays or Expos in that set? I have a random Eddie Murray.
    I have some cereal cards from 1991. Post Canadian still in wrappers..

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm very familiar with this design, but never realized there are two sets. I'll have to see if I have both Rickeys and Carltons for my collection.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment