Rock On! Nine Pockets!

If you read my last post, then you might be surprised to find back-to-back posts of nonsports cards.  However I wouldn't label this as nonsense.  These are some kick-ass rock and roll cards!  Awhile back Gregory, of Nine Pockets fame started a series of posts called the Battle of the Bands and it did not disappoint.  A creative series of posts ensued pitting a bracket of American bands against each other and another bracket of British bands.  I encourage any fan of 70's and 80's rock to check it out.  It is as entertaining as it is creative.

The rock battle series wrapped up recently and Nine Pockets offered up for sale a set of customs, which I happily purchased.  This is my first set of customs I've ever purchased and they have the look and feel of good old fashioned cardboard, just like Topps used to sell when these bands where at the height of their popularity.

The first matchup on the American side was an easy pick for me.  I love both bands but The Doors is really no match for Van Halen.  I love how the cards featured each of the four members of the band and the band's logo.  My prediction had Van Halen winning the whole thing, but unfortunately they were knocked out in the semifinals.

The second matchup on the American side featured two more heavy hitters.  I would have been disappointed if there wasn't a shot of Gene Simmons lashing out his tongue.  To my surprise,  KISS was beaten out in the first round by the Ramones.  Spoiler - the Ramones would go to the championship.  

On the British side, Led Zeppelin and The Who battled in the first round.  Zeppelin would be victorious and would go on to the championship.  I had picked this so at least I got one right!

The second British bracket pitted Black Sabbath and Queen.  I correctly picked Sabbath over Queen in this round.  Funny to see a young Ozzy Osbourne here.  Who would have predicted that later in life he would provide some comic relief with his reality TV series?

Here's a look at the custom checklist that was included when ordering the set.  I like the color coordination and I promise I won't mark them up.

Here's a look at the back of the card.  A nice discography and a little trivia note about the band.

For commenting on the blog series, Nine Pockets gave away a card!  Since I bought the set, the freebie he sent was a card of one of my favorite movie characters - Dirty Harry!

For me, the entire series was entertaining and well written and in case you didn't notice, the design of the rock band cards is based on the Topps 1974-75 basketball set.   These cards will have a spot in my small, but growing, nonsports collection.  Maybe I should send these in to PSA for grading?

Oh and if you're wondering which band won it all, you'll have to visit Nine Pockets to find out.


Comments

  1. I think that everyone is in agreement as to the greatness of the series... and the cards!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for writing such a complimentary post, Crocodile! Happy to know you're enjoying the cards so much. I had a lot of fun creating them. Keep rockin!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome set! Even the checklist looks awesome. But that Callahan is my favorite card from this post.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment