Say Hey Willie Mays - Topps 1997 Commemorative Set

 

My bulk purchase is starting to look a bit better after finding a few of these Topps reprints from the 1997 Willie Mays Commemorative set.  Collectors might recall seeing these cards included with retail sets (along with Mickey Mantle).  The neat thing about this is that collectors are treated to each card Topps produced, along with a few Bowman's.  Here are a few favorites.


1952 Topps.  What's not to like about this classic set?  Unfortunately I don't own a '52 Mays and probably never will.  But the reprint is still pretty sweet.

1965 Topps.  One of my favorite cards and I'm lucky I found an original card for sale a long, long time ago.  I'm pretty sure I forked out $5 for it.  My card may not be perfect, but this reprint is darn close.

I couldn't pick a favorite between these two.  I really like the look of the 1960 Sport Magazine all-star (still need this for my '60 build).  The '55 Bowman TV look is a classic.

I've always liked these 1961 Sporting News all-stars.  The original card has been elusive in the wild, so for now this nice reprint will do.

1957 Topps.  One of my all-time favorite sets.  I'm lucky to own one or two originals. For some reason I feel more comfortable pulling and handling a reprint than the original, so I'm happy to have this.

What's better than a reprint?  A finest reprint!  These three are nice additions to the collection.

This was an exciting find, because I only had the '57 reprint before this purchase.  Now I have an extra '57 RP, so would gladly trade that out for one of the 5 cards I need to complete the reprint set (56, 59, 62, 64, 73).  You can bet I'll be hunting down the remainder to complete this set.  I'm not sure I'll try to complete the set of finest (or the refractors), but I won't turn down any that are priced reasonably (hint: cheap).  


Comments

  1. I used to see these in dime boxes all the time. I never bought any though because that big gold stamp is a turn off for me. It's all I see when I look at these.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment