Sunday Randomness - 1980 Topps Jumbo Football

 

I'm sitting here watching football games and trying to imagine what the game was like when I was a kid.  In many ways the game has changed tremendously.  It seems like there are so many more TV timeouts, the stadiums are bigger, and of course players can't hit the quarterback anymore.  However, in some ways the game really hasn't changed.  Sure teams spread the offense more than they used too, but they still have to run the ball, defenses still have to tackle and players still have to make plays.

Would I trade the way games were played in the 70's or 80's for the way it is played today?  I'm not so sure.  Would I trade football cards from the 70's or 80's for football cards today?  I'm not so sure.  What I am sure about is that I wouldn't trade a 1980 jumbo (or super) set for one that is made today.  If only because I haven't found one that is made today.  In fact, I'm not sure Topps ever produced another 5x7 set of football cards before or after this one.


I ever so slightly remember this set from back then, but will never forget the Coca-Cola commercial of Joe Greene throwing his jersey to the kid.  Nowadays, I'm pretty sure that kid's parents would be thrown in jail for not watching him.  I mean, how did he get in the tunnel and through security?


What can I say about Wesley Walker?  Not much.  And Topps didn't think too hard about this card, basically taking the same photo from his base card.


John Jefferson was a highly regarded speedster, and a big part of Air Coryell.  No relation to current NFL star, Justin Jefferson (as far as I could find), but think how cool that would be.


Tony Dorsett was in his prime, and this photo doesn't do him any justice.  The photos used for these cards sure look similar.


Who doesn't remember this guy from the 80's?  He was a big part of the Eagle's successful run to the Super Bowl where they were upset by the wild card Raiders.


Just like the Dorsett above, similar, but not quite the same photo.  At least collectors are treated to a rookie card.


Of course, what football set from that era would be complete without Sweetness?

Topps released a number of 5x7 sets in the 80's and collectors never seemed to notice.  So this is another set not high on most collectors want list, which is a bit of a disappointment and yet I'm also glad, because the set remains very affordable.  With 30 cards and a nice glossy finish, these cards can be had for about $1 each.  A total bargain if you appreciate oversized cards.

Here's something else I appreciate:




Comments

  1. I did not know this set existed. So many headshots, but maybe that's the look Topps was going for. (Also, I laughed out loud at your Joe Greene/Coca-Cola commercial observations.)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment