Box Set Special: 1988 Revco League Leaders

 

I've been looking for a Revco set for awhile.  My interest had been piqued thanks to some of these cards appearing on other blogs.  So I was a little excited when I came across one at my LCS.  With a $2 price tag, who could resist?  This is also my only Revco set, but I'm on the lookout for more.

The cards remind me of other small box sets produced by Topps for companies such as Kaybee Toys or Kmart.  Printed on nice glossy card stock, the cards have that Tiffany look.


Rumor has it those Tiffany sets were printed in Ireland, so this set is in very good company.


The box.  Nothing special here.


The set starts out strong enough with this nice card of Tony Gwynn.


Then we get a couple of great base stealers in Vince Coleman and Tim Raines.  
However where's Rickey?  Yep, he wasn't a league leader.


The set also includes this McGwire, but no Canseco.  Only one bash brother?  Not good.


Apparently we get this guy instead.  Sorry, Tim Wallach guy, I need to keep this one with the set.


There are plenty of head shots in the set, including this one showing off Paul Molitor's dreamy blue eyes.


On the mound, the set includes these two popular fireballers.


This is the only Twin in the set.  At least I've got another Puckett for my PC.


Here's the back of card.  Nicely designed and very easy to read.  Interesting how the note mentions the top 2 leaders.

Overall I like the design and the high gloss fancies things up a bit.  However that's not enough to save this rather blah set because of it's limited checklist due to this being a 'league leaders' set.  Unfortunately, that leaves out a few big stars from the time.


Oh look, another card giveaway!  This time it's from Backseat Breaks!




Comments

  1. I've never seen this particular set before. Aside from the nifty Revco logo, the cards themselves look like a lot of other boxed sets from that era.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like the action shots in this set... like the Gwynn, Fernando, and Puckett. Kind of bummed Rickey didn't make the checklist. On the other hand, he would have been a Yankee at the time.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment