Vikings Win!

As a Viking fan, we've been on the other side of heartbreakers a few too many times.  So it is with some relief and giddiness that I get to write a post after another incredible comeback win.  In some respects I'm still trying to process what the heck happened in Buffalo, and I'm sure a few Bills fans are doing the same.  During that last drive near the end of the game, I told my buddy we needed a Minneapolis Miracle in Buffalo, and boy did we get one.

So with the Vikings on my mind, I decided to not show off current players (because that would be all too blah) but visited the past and pulled out my Crime Prevention (or police cards as we called them back then) set from 1986.


Starting with long time coach, Jerry Burns.  He was always good with a quote and some post game comments.


When Fran Tarkenton retired, Tommy Kramer was the heir to the throne.  He was known as Two-minute Tommy for his ability to bring the team back, though I'm not sure those comebacks were quite as dramatic as we've seen the past few weeks.  Kramer had an injury filled career but made the Pro-Bowl in 1986.  Nowadays, he's quite the crowd pleaser.  I've written about one of my encounters with Mr. Kramer way back when I started this blog.


Steve Jordan was an awesome pass catching tight end.  With his athleticism he made incredible catches and he still holds the TE team record for single game receiving yards at 179.  Jordan finished his career with 498 reception and over 6300 yards.  Which is good for 16th all-time and ahead of Hall of Famers, Mike Ditka, Dave Casper and John Mackey.


Darrin Nelson was once called "Disco Darrin" because of his lament that the Minneapolis night scene shut down by midnight back then.  Thanks to him, we can now party until 2am in many places.  Ok, maybe not entirely thanks to him, but it was kind of funny to hear back then.  I was still in high school, so I could have cared less.  The one thing most Vikings fans still get upset about is the fact the Vikings drafted Darrin with the 7th overall pick in the first round, passing on Marcus Allen.  Nowadays, Mr. Nelson does show signings every now and then and he's actually fun to talk with.


Tim Newton was the nose tackle on what would become a pretty good defense.  I had the chance to meet him once, but instead of signing his name he signed his nickname - Fig.


Scott Studwell (great name for a football player) was a mainstay in the Vikings defense for many years.  He may be one of the most underrated linebackers ever.


Joey Browner lived up to his first round selection and became one of the best defensive backs of the 80's.  Vikings fans loved his tenacity during the 9 years he played with the team.  He is a 3 time All-Pro and 6-time pro bowler.  This article is a rather interesting argument to put him in the Hall of Fame.


Chris Doleman and Keith Millard formed as great a defensive pairing that a team could want.  Doleman went on to become a Hall of Famer, amassing over 150 sacks.  Keith Millard, in his prime was a dominant force.  He is a two-time All-Pro and with 2 Pro Bowls and was the 1989 Defensive Player of the Year.  It was too bad he blew a knee trying to block a pass against Tampa in 1990.  After that he wasn't same.


Before there was Jefferson, Moss and Cris Carter, there was Anthony Carter.  A pretty electric receiver in his own right, in 1987 AC tore the 49ers secondary up for a then playoff record 227 yards.  

As talented as that team was, they missed out on the Super Bowl the following year, losing to the Redskins in the NFC championship.  Vikings fans can always look back and think "what if".  Unfortunately, we are all too conditioned to the team's lack of success in the postseason.  So, I'll enjoy today's team but will view past talented Vikings teams as a cautionary tale.  

Comments

  1. Credit where it is due: the Vikings capitalized on every opportunity the Bills handed them...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Always a Vikings fan. SKOL!!! I've seen too many times where the Vikes are on the low end of the score. Nice to see when we are on the high end!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fun post.
    An Alan Page was the first single I bought when I got back into collecting.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My aunt lived in Minnesota for decades... and her family are huge Vikings and Twins fans. Wish I could say I'm happy for them, but as a Packers fan... I'd just be lying. Congratulations on the huge win though!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I only have a couple, but I really like the Police sets. Not knowing about them until just a couple of years ago, I'm always a bit surprised by how many different sets were made over the years.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment