Set Complete! 1986-87 Fleer Basketball

 

This past weekend's card show was a complete success.  The show itself may have been one of the smallest I've been to this year, but it seemed like every single dealer table I walked up to had something of interest to me.  It was nice to see a really good mix of modern and vintage cards, and it wasn't as crowded as other shows, so there was plenty of elbow room while sorting through boxes and talking to the dealers.

To my surprise, there were a couple dealers with stacks of 1986-87 Fleer basketball.  Anyone who has looked at my want list may have noticed my needs dwindling over the past few months, and I blogged about not being able to find Rickey Green.  So it was incredible to see a nice stack of these basketball cards.  I held my breath when I asked the dealer to pull the stack out of his case.  He explained he had tried to complete the set, but gave up and decided to sell.

I asked about Rickey and he said 'Yes, there are 2 in there.'  Woohoo!


And boom!  Just like that my set was completed!  

I was overcome with joy and fell to my knees crying in jubilation!  

Ok, that didn't happen but I was very happy.


So happy in fact, I also bought this nicely centered Johnny Moore as an upgrade.  This card has a reputation of being especially hard to find centered.

So let's take a look at some goodies.


A few key cards from the set.  Yes, those are old fashioned screw downs (recessed of course).


A look at my MJ.  I didn't take it out of the holder when scanning, so it's not the sharpest picture.  The card itself isn't in the greatest condition, but go ahead and price these out.  Ouch.


Here's a look at the set.  Everything is there except the MJ sticker, and I don't know if I'll ever find an "affordable" one.  

Eagle eyed readers will notice there are 2 Barkley rookies, and there's a lot of cards in those stacks for a set that only contains 132 cards.  That's because I've managed to acquire a few extras over the past year.  Trade bait?  I'm not sure.

What I am sure about is that I'll be enjoying this set for a long time.  



Comments

  1. Congrats!! An amazing accomplishment. Send me the Barkley double for being the first commenter, lol!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Quite an accomplishment, congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, that is pretty amazing! Definitely not an easy task these days. Good thing that you got the MJ before the boom too. I haven't seen it priced anywhere in a while, but I would imagine that it's gone up a quite a bit in recent years.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations on completing this iconic set. I keep telling myself maybe one day I'll finish my set, but the odds of me landing the final card (MJ) at a price within my budget is low to very low. But I'm happy to see another blogger get it done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I lucked out getting the MJ pre-pandemic.

      Delete

Post a Comment