Pickups and a Completion

 

My brother and I made a road trip "down South", which from a Minnesota perspective, means pretty much everything is South.  In this case, we made a trip to Iowa.  We visited a show and a couple shops looking for goodies.  I wasn't able to land too much in the way of set needs but found some stuff here and there to make it interesting.  I was also able to land some nice items from some online sites. 

Let's start with these.  I've highlighted this insert set in a prior post and was glad to be able to add these three to my set.  My set is almost halfway done, with 6 of the 13 cards.  I paid more for these than I wanted, but they are fairly hard to find.

On the vintage side of things, these 5 1962 Post cereal cards make nice additions to my set build.  I'm in no hurry to complete this, but whenever I can find these for a buck or two, I'll take it.

Next up, an on-card autograph of Vikings great, Chuck Foreman.  This is from the 1997 UD Legends set.  I really like the design of these cards and there are a few Vikings included in the set to collect.  It seems these are somewhat difficult to find in the wild.

I found this Doc Gooden on-card auto while digging through a box.  He's wearing the wrong uniform, but a cool card nonetheless.

At long last, a Bird sticker from 1986-87 Fleer.  It is off-centered top to bottom, but my scanner cut the top off even further.  This completes the sticker set for me, unless someone has a spare MJ sticker.

This Andrew Toney gets me to within a single card to complete the set.  Truth be told, I was lucky a dealer there had a stack of cards from this set to sort through.  I thought I had completed it when I found a Terry Teagle and was ecstatic.  But while in the mall where the card show was located my phone couldn't get a signal.  So I was really guessing at who I needed.  Finally I walked closer to the entrance where I could get a signal and pull up my want list.  To my surprise I bought the wrong card!  <insert Sam Kinison yelling here>.  Fortunately, Toney was in the stack, but I'm still down a Rickey Green!  Rickey where are you!?

Finally, a set completion.  These two were up for grabs recently and my winning bid closes the chapter on this 1998 Inkworks  Dream Girls insert set.  You can find my original post about this HERE.

Happy Halloween everyone!


Comments

  1. The 1997 UD Legends set might just be my favorite autograph set of all-time. If money weren't an object, I'd definitely try to build it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I buy these when I see them. Many of the 'commons' can be had for little more than $10/card. Not bad for on-card auto's.

      Delete
  2. Gooden pitched his only no-hitter with the Yankees, and won two of his three WS rings with them. No wrong uniform there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good point, but I always think of him as a Met.

      Delete
  3. Congrats on the completed Dream Girls set. And those Post cards look very sharp, especially if they were only a buck or two apiece.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Is that Thelma Lou from The Andy Griffith show? ;-)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment