The Deception and A Few Pickups

A friend, Matt, had a birthday this weekend and between my brother and Matt's significant other, a plan was hatched to distract him while a surprise party was setup.  So we had to get him out of the house for a few hours.  Our plan was to either hit up a local RV/boat show or run around town and check out a few card shops.  Fortunately, Matt is a bit of a collector, so we decided on the card shop run, which worked out perfectly to kill time.

The first shop we stopped at was a productive one for me.  I was able to land a few cards for my '56 build including this Willie Mays:


Definitely not high grade as you can see a big crease on the right side of the card.  If the crease had run through the left side (and Willie's face) I probably would not have bought this.  Nevertheless, I can now mark off another "big get" from this set.


I also found some commons to help fill up the set.


On the modern card side of things, this Chase Young gets me down to needing only 8 more cards to complete the 2020 Donruss Optic Football set.


From the mailbox, I had this 1996 Clear Assets Kevin Garnett waiting for me.  This is an acetate card which I'm kind of a sucker for.  I like the design here.


I also won a 2000 UD YBK Kobe Bryant.  The design of this card is a little busy, but you can't go wrong picking up a Kobe.


Finally, a 1996 Skybox Garnett.  This is a good looking card of probably the best player to put on a Timberwolves uniform.

On one of our last stops of the day, Matt found a nice set of 1979 Topps hockey which included a PSA 4 Gretzky.  The rest of the cards in the set were all in great shape and it also included all the stickers.  Hopefully he'll put out a video of it over on Backseat Breaks.  After this stop we got word the party was ready to start and it was time to head over.  I think it is safe to say Matt was totally surprised.  Our efforts at distracting him worked!

Speaking of Backseat Breaks, as the party wound down, we had some fun opening a few boxes of hockey cards.  Unfortunately for me, the tin of 2022-23 UD Hockey I bought was a bust.  You can watch the series of videos by clicking on the link above or check out my "break" below.

Happy Birthday Matt!




 

Comments

  1. Great pickups! Nice to see another '56 Topps set builder. I've got a few singles incoming but nothing like your Mays. The Young and Kobe are cool, too. I'll have to check out those breaks later today.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice Mays. I couldn't even see the crease until I clicked on the larger image. And I envy your brother. Not every day you purchase a Gretzky rookie card and the rest of that iconic set.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. His close friend bought the set, but my brother wishes he would have.

      Delete
  3. I've never been part of surprise party, but they seem like they'd be a lot of fun; especially for the ones who organized it.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment