2011 Topps Lineage '75 Mini Set

 

I almost made the mistake of creating a post on a hockey set as both of my favorite hockey teams are red hot.  Then it dawned on me that today is baseball's opening day!  It just doesn't seem right to talk hockey on what should be a national holiday.  And though I may be excited to see baseball back in action, I'm not as excited that my Twins will bounce back to compete for the division this year.

However, I'll put my Twins skepticism aside and show my excitement for some cardboard.  This 2011 Topps Lineage 1975 mini set came up for auction not long ago and I was a bit surprised it didn't draw much attention.  I thought "wow for $20+ shipping I could buy a complete base set?"  I wasn't turning that down.


The set's checklist is full of the usual suspects as far as Hall of Famers are concerned, but it does mix in a few players from 2011.  


Unfortunately us Twins fans were left asking why Killebrew, Carew and Puckett were left out.


Fans of the Yankees and Dodgers won't be disappointed.  Seems to be plenty of them.


As a collector who really doesn't keep cards in binders, you may have noticed I scanned the cards in their 9-card pages.  That's because I just can't find a good way to store these mini's in a box.  But I will admit for a 200 card set, the smaller 1 inch binder works very well for this.

If you're a fan of the original 1975 set, then you're certain to enjoy this set.  And though I haven't collected the original 1975 mini set (it's a work in progress),  I almost like this set more.  The sharper images and glossy stock really make this pop.  I almost feel cheated by the checklist in that this set could have easily been double the size.  I tend to look at this and say I want more! 

Now it's time to watch some baseball!  Thanks for reading and go Twins!

Comments

  1. I completed this set in 2012, it's the largest insert set I've ever attempted to complete. But since the '75 mini set is my all-time favorite, I had to do it. It resides in its own binder. ... $20 is a good deal.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is up my alley. I remember a friend kept asking for Topps to include Gene Alley in the 1968 set. This was back in 1978 and we had convinced Starro that Gene Alley had been pranked into showing up at a zoo in Florida for what he was told was “a special photo with alligators” and this apparently thrilled Alley. Well, Starro threw a tantrum and I remember the window shattering as he threw his ash tray from shop class like a Forbes Fastie. Well, Starro claimed “Gene has no bat and I get it! But, that glove! He’s better than that!”

    I’m like “Starro, dude you’re from Detroit. Why do you care?”

    It got so bad and we hoped Topps would just answer his letter as Starro lost weight and chain smoked for months over this. Well, I finally went to a show in Lubbock and got me a 68 Gene Alley for a quarter and lemme tell you how glad I am I bought that card.

    Great insert set!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice find, though I was a bit sad you didn't scan the page with Mel Ott.
    Would love to work out a trade if you've got any 75 mini dupes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations on the purchase. I have so many set builds laying around... if I like a set, I'll usually try to buy a completed one on eBay first. Loved the fronts of these cards... but not the backs.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment