2021 Topps Platinum Players Die Cut Insert Set Completion

 

Nothing gets me more excited then finding a deal on brand new shiny cards.  Ok, that's not entirely true.  I'd rather find a really good deal on vintage but when a batch of these die-cut inserts came up with little interest shown from other bidders, I took the plunge.  At the time I wasn't sure what I was buying.  All I saw was the blinding chrome and die-cut shape and thought wow!  I better get these!  Afterall I am a sucker for die-cuts.


When I saw the likes of Tony Gywnn in the set, I figured it must be a sign to complete this set.


Twins fans are treated to a Carew and Puckett.  Why don't get we ever get these two with Killebrew, Oliva, Blyleven...etc together in an insert set?


There are a few for you Yankees/Red Sox/Dodgers fans.


A pair of Angels made the cut.  The Mike Trout card has some extra 'glitter' to it.  I didn't realize this when I bought it and I'm not sure what that means but I couldn't find another like it.


Ichiro also made the cut as one of the three Mariners in the set (Randy Johnson and Ken Griffey Jr are the others)


This is my favorite card of the set.  What better way to represent Rickey then this?


In case anyone was curious, here's a comparison of the regular die-cut insert vs the Chrome issue.  Both have the same 70 shaped die cut, but the top and bottom notches on the Chrome are deeper cuts.


A look at the whole set.  Lots of shiny goodness here.

This 70 card insert was available with the 2021 Topps Chrome Update series, and being that I rarely buy boxes of baseball, finding nearly half the set in one lot gave me a great jump to completing it. 
I figured when picking up the lot for less then $30, that this would be a rather affordable chase.  And for the most part it was.  The most I paid for a card with shipping was $3.51, and that's because I was impatient and wanted to finish the set.  I nearly paid $5 for the Reggie, thankfully someone outbid me and I was able to pick up a BIN for about half that.

My impatience also caused me to double buy some cards because I failed to update my wantlist.  Ugh!  Nothing worse then misreading your own want list.  I also ended up with an extra regular issue Eddie Murray because of a misleading description and me not paying close enough attention to the photo.  
So if you'd like the regular issue die-cut Murray pictured above, comment and I'll draw for a winner.

I hope everyone had a great Easter and thanks for stopping by!

Comments

  1. The chrome version is so much nicer. There is also a non die cut chrome version in TC Update and those are nice too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. CORRECTION: I was mistaken about this insert set having the non die cut chrome version. I was confusing it with the diamond greats die cuts and their non die cut versions. Sorry for the boo boo.

      Delete
  2. Die-cut and shiny are a nice combination. It's also cool to see Gwynn, Rickey, and Ichiro featured in the same insert set.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great looking set!! And I finally fixed your feed on my blog so I can see new posts lol. I had no idea you were posting all this time as it never told me. Now i know!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ohh... Shiny die cuts.

      Just here to comment, pick the next person if my name comes up!

      Delete

Post a Comment