A Nice Mix - Card Show Picks

 

I'm falling way behind on my posts and have a lot of catching up to do.  Not only that, but I've fallen behind on going to card shows lately.  Last weekend was the first card show I have attended in over a month.  I had been missing these shows so much I started to get the jitters.  So when I suggested a road trip to my brother I was glad he was eager to go.

Fortunately, my brother wasn't the only person eager to go.  Our nephew had been pinging us to take him to a show for awhile and as luck would have it our schedules aligned.  He's been getting into collecting lately and we are more than willing to corrupt, help him out.  He has started PC's on Kirk Cousins and Justin Jefferson and also made his first submission to PSA for a 1/1 Kirk Cousins card.


At the show, our nephew invested in these two RPA's of Bailey Zappe and Jaylen Waddle.  The Zappe was a bit of a surprise to me, but we will see if my nephew's intuition pays off next season.  We're going to work on his photography skills :)


In the vintage department I picked up these four nice 56's (along with Mossi pictured above) for my set build.  Slow progress, but progress nonetheless.


Next up I found a 1991 Pacific Picks the Pros Gold insert in a dollar box.  I bought an awful lot of Pacific football cards back in 1991 and never once pulled one of these so I grabbed this without hesitation.    The Fred Haney is from the 1954 Topps Archive set and is a foil variation.


Here we have my first Pacific Prism Ornament of Randy Moss (sweet looking card).  I also picked up a '95 Barry Sanders Pacific Crown Royale for that set build.  I love these die cut cards.


Even though this is a sticker auto, I couldn't resist this Ray Guy card.  
I'll take a Hall of Fame auto for $5 any day.


Finally a decent addition to my '75 mini set build.  The centering and a couple of soft corners didn't dissuade me from adding this for $30.  Unfortunately the dealer sold the Yount earlier in the show.  
So the hunt is on for the next most expensive card in this set.

You never know what you'll find on these trips but the card show was a winner in my book.  My brother didn't fair so well.  And despite the long drive, our nephew was a good sport putting up with our banter and 'old' music.  I'm looking forward to attending more shows with our nephew and watching his collection grow.  The next few weeks look promising for card shows.  Happy hunting!



Comments

  1. Very cool pickups! Love the moss ornament and always liked that crown royale set. I am still hoping to find a Deion Sandwrs and Jerry Jones. Those are in my Top 100 most wanted list

    Matt-CardsOverCoffee

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I still need the Deion, then its mainly commons.

      Delete
  2. I first thought Montana was punting in that photo! Cool card. Lots of nice pickups.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I come across '75 minis so rarely at card shows, although I did see some at the one I went to this weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pretty great stuff. I love the Mossi, Moss Ornament and of course, the Brett.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ooh a Brett Mini RC! That's a very nice pickup. The '56s are fantastic, too. And a Ray Guy auto! Nice haul overall

    Zappe might be a good gamble. I'm not sure the Patriots are too keen on Mac Jones.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He had me thinking I should start buying up Zappe's. lol

      Delete
  6. I pulled a gold Jerry Rice from the very first pack of 1991 Pacific that I ever opened, and have never seen another one in person since.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm surprised those aren't worth more. They sure were hard to pull.

      Delete
  7. Always good to hear about people getting interested in the hobby. Although my niece has never shown any interest in attending any card shows, she does collect Justin Jefferson.

    P.S. That Montana for a buck is a sweet find. I feel like that was a very popular insert back in 1991... especially in my area.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment