1969 Deckle Edge - Set Complete

 

The 1969 deckle edge insert set has always fascinated me.  I've probably been trying to complete this small set longer then most other sets, but I only did so with a passing interest.  I'm not even sure how close I was to completing it (those cards are lost somewhere, stuffed in a box), but I thought it was time to pull the trigger on this especially since the regular issue is on my radar.  So when I saw the complete set at a local shop I couldn't pass up the opportunity to finally check this off the want list.


The black and white photos certainly give this a "vintage" look and the blue signature is a nice touch.


What's even more notable is that I didn't realize the set has 2 variations.  I was thrilled my set had them.  Most checklists have this set at 33 cards, but I say it's a 35 card set.


I couldn't find an explanation for these variations, maybe it was a contractual dispute, but it seems the Foy and Wynn will set you back a few more dollars than Staub/Wilhelm.


I wonder who the person was that thought up the goofy "deckle" edge cut?  I kind of like it, but were these supposedly what people back in 1969 thought "vintage" photos looked like?


So that's the 35 card set in a nutshell.  The checklist is fairly strong, but there are some notable absences such as Killebrew, Ryan, Brock, Seaver and even Mantle.  Roller marks from the printers are prevalent and centering issues seem to be common.  Despite the obvious flaws (and the fact that my set may need a couple of upgrades especially that Tommy Davis) I enjoy these glossy photos.  

Now I need to finish off that pesky '69 set.


Comments

  1. I'll never complete the 69 main set, but I am happy to have a complete Deckle set! Silly Foy and Wynn...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always like how the set uses a blue signature on the black and white photo. Congrats on completing it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats on completing the set.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome set! If I found one at my LCS or at a show for a decent price I'd grab it too. Had no idea about the variations... but now I know that if I buy one to look for all 35 cards.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awesome set, love that Brooks Robinson in particular. Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Belated congrats on the completed set! I've picked up a couple when my LCS put come cards in their Facebook auctions.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment