1981 Coca-Cola Football (Redskins)

 

Switching things up here even though football season is a month or two away.  The '81 Topps football set is one of my favorites so I was excited when I saw a Coca-Cola set.  It's not often (if at all) that I see these cards in the wild so when I came across this 1981 Coca-Cola football set of the Washington Redskins, I couldn't let it go.  In my excitement I may have overpaid a bit at $15, but these cards are in fantastic condition.


This team set contains 11 cards of the key players from the Redskins, including this Joe Theismann.  You don't see QB's with a single bar mask anymore.


The ALL PRO highlight was always eye catching.  The younger version of me was always looking for these when ripping open packs back then.


Art Monk is one of the more notable rookies from the '81 set, so including him in this set is a bonus.  


Mark Moseley was one of the last straight-on place kickers in the NFL.


Mike Nelms was a 3x Pro Bowler and named to the '80s all decade team.


A look at the card back is very similar to Topps regular issue with the exception of the Coca-Cola logo.


Each team set has a header card.  I was hoping it might be a checklist but instead you receive an offer for an uncut sheet of football cards.

I don't remember seeing these cards when I was a kid.  So while doing a little research for this post I was curious to learn that Topps issued a set of 84 cards for 7 NFL teams (Redskins, Chargers, Colts, Cowboys, Giants, Cardinals and Oilers). None of which were the Vikings, so I guess it shouldn't surprise me that I never saw them.  The good thing about these is that the team sets are very affordable so completing this set shouldn't be much of a challenge.  I wish I could go back and order one of those uncut sheets for $4.

Now onto the giveaway from the prior post.  There were 6 comments from my prior post that came up with a creative way to say 100.  I spun the wheel and the winner is Bo by a thread!  Congratulations!





Comments

  1. I never knew there were Coca-Cola team sets for football. Very cool Monk 'RC' oddball.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow - thank you!

    I like the Coke baseball cards of the era, never knew there were football version. I should track down that Giants set.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes it is a very nice set. As a Skins fan myself I have this set. You did a little better than I did when getting the full set I paid $20. I'm not sure but I think I already had several of these cards individually, maybe even all 11 players, except for the header card.
    https://captkirk42.blogspot.com/2017/02/washington-wednesday-have-coke-and-smile.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. Noooooooooooo! ;). I still need to get my hands on the baseball Twins coke cards.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've never seen those before, very cool! They would look great signed.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow... can't believe you can pick up an oddball rookie card of a hall of famer for $15. That's pretty awesome. If you overpaid, I can't imagine it was by that much. Just looked it up and saw that Monk had the most receptions in the 80's and the third most receiving yards.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Didn't know about this release, thanks for showing off the team set! And congrats to Bo!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment