Frame it Up (row 2): 1996 Jimmy Deans All-Time Greats Football

 Continuing with the prior two posts, this one focuses on row 2, where these are all football players.  This set is what really caught my eye when I first saw this item come up for bid.  The 1996 Jimmy Dean set has just 4 cards but it packs a punch.  You get 4 Hall of Famers with certified autographs.  In 1996 this would have set you back about $8 per card. 


Each card comes with a nice little COA (which is slightly smaller then the card).  Despite airbrushing the logo out, this is a well designed card. 


Steve Largent may be a Hall of Famer, but collectors don't seem to demand much of his cards.  This one can usually be found for about $20, and maybe cheaper.  That's a bargain in my book.


Gale Sayers is the youngest player ever inducted into the Hall of Fame.  Which is saying something to the impact he made on the game in a short period of time.  And that may have impacted the price of this card, as it is usually about double the Steve Largent above.


Bart Starr is really the star of this set.  This card commands a premium, roughly 5x that of Sayers and Dorsett.  This also seems to be fairly scarce.  I don't see many cards from this set in the wild but the Starr card has been the toughest to find in my experience.


Finally, this Cris Carter autographed card completes the row.  Here he signed his 1995 UD football card.  The signature is consistent with others I own, so I believe this is legit and was most likely signed in-person.  His autograph has been very consistent over the years.

The Jimmy Dean set is an attractive set.  I liked it so much I bought a second set (at pre-covid prices).  Its nice to have one set for display and another sitting aside.  I haven't decided if I should grade these, but maybe one day. 

My second set, pulled from a goody box.

 
With the Carter auto, that's 5 Hall of Famers in the second row and makes the amount I paid for this well worth it in my opinion.  I love the on-card auto's, but there's more to come.  Tomorrow I'll show off row 3.

Comments

  1. Great players, but the lack of logos would drive me crazy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think a lot of young fans even know who Steve Largent is at this point.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment