It's In The Ball Park

Another Goody Box special for today's post.  This features a simple, but unique 2 card set issued in 1995.  If you loved hot dogs, then you might remember Ball Park Franks, and back then they teamed up with Collector's Edge to produce this cool mail in set featuring Yogi Berra and Frank Robinson.  For 2 UPC codes and $5 you could have had autographs from a couple of Hall of Famers.  

Unfortunately for me, I didn't pay too much attention to this offer back then, but I was paying attention awhile back when a nice framed sheet of 20 autographed baseball cards came up for auction.  I instantly recognized a few cards and my $100 bid won out.


Unfortunately whoever owned those framed up cards must have hung it up and exposed some of these to the sunlight.  This Yogi was in that frame, but the signature is still relatively strong.  I have since bought another with a stronger showing autograph on it.


At some point I'll need to upgrade this card as Frank Robinson's autograph appears a bit more worse for the wear. 

For collectors who love the foodie cards, this is a great little set which is still very affordable.  There doesn't seem to be a shortage of these cards around, but the Yogi will set you back some.  The cards also came with a COA card (which were missing with mine). 


Here's the backside of the card.  Nothing special, just a little writeup and photo.

So there you have it.  Another cool, affordable, foodie set.  It amazes me how many of these sets were around in the 90's.  Some how I missed out on a few of these sets and am just now trying to collect them all.  And I really appreciate collectors not paying to much attention, because these auto's won't harm the budget too badly.  However the sunlight will, so these are going back into the Goody Box.


Comments

  1. you got me wondering about the other 18 cards

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very cool, never heard of that set. Love the autos, heckuva pairing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. $5 for a Yogi autograph, even in the 90's on an airbrushed photo, was a great deal. I don't have a Yogi autograph in my collection, unfortunately, but I do have a Frank Robinson set put out by, of all things, Canadian Club.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really like that CC set and am working on completing it. I'll highlight it in a future post.

      Delete
  4. Cool set, if only we could send out $5 and a couple UPCs today for a couple HOF cards w/autos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No doubt. Many of these little autographed sets from the 90's were surprisingly cheap.

      Delete
  5. A. Never seen these Ballpark signatures before. Very cool.

    B. I used to have a bunch of autographs hanging up in those card frames in my office (which doesn't receive a lot of sunlight). Figured they'd be safe... but over the years you don't see the slow fade until you hold them up side by side to a non-faded autograph. It was a tough lesson to learn.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's amazing how many autograph sets like this were made during the 90's.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment