Adding More Vintage

 

Hard to believe fall is already here but summer's don't last long around here.  Already I've seen overnight lows drop into the 40's.  Brrrr!  But I can't complain because just a couple weeks ago it was nearly 100 degrees.  The onset of fall also means my outdoor activities will be slowing down soon and that means I won't be falling behind on posts.  So here's a quick update on a few more acquisitions.


This '62 Maris was hard to pass up, but when I received it the back has a tape or glue mark like it was ripped out of a book.  That wasn't in the description.  It's still a nice place holder until I can upgrade.


Back-to-back Maris cards.  This '60 Sport Magazine AS card fills a need for my set build.


I picked up a '57 Kuenn for $5.  Even though I've completed this set it was hard to pass this up.


These were not cheap additions but both cards are solid with no creases.


I also added a couple of decent Hostess cards.  I'm not trying to complete this set yet.


Ok, not vintage but heck $50 for an Akeem rookie?  Yes please.  This has a dinged corner in the upper right but is nicely centered, which is difficult for this set.



I also picked up a box of 71's for my set build.  Over 100 cards for about $30.  There will be a few upgrades here and a little trade bait.

Speaking of vintage here's a question for the blogosphere.  I have my sights set on two '56 Jackie Robinson cards that are about the same price.  The question is this:  Would you buy one that is PSA authenticated but altered (probably trimmed) or buy a loose version but it has a lot of wear and tear including creases?  What say you?

Comments

  1. My '56 Jackie has issues but it fits in nicely with the rest of my '56s and I never wish it came in a slab. I don't worry about 1956 Topps fakes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would take the unaltered Jackie. Pre - JFK.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Graded Jackie for me, even though I am not a buyer of graded stuff very often

    ReplyDelete
  4. Make that three, the unaltered works for me

    ReplyDelete
  5. 36 degrees in Pease, MN this morning! YIKES!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I read that as "trimmed (but authentic)" versus "beat-up (and possibly counterfeit)". I'd rather have the creased/unaltered card, but I'd always wonder about it's authenticity.
    I display a 64 Mantle with writing on it as part of my set, but also own a slabbed "authentic" copy. I've given a lot of consideration to which one I'd rather keep if I had to choose. Tough call!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I might be interested in the few that you said are trade bait on the '71s just lmk & nice one of good old Harvey there too '57 Kuenn's I've been told are hard to locate in condition factors in set makers of the year.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Some great star power on those cards, but also great photos on all of them.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nice pickups! I'm especially liking the Killebrew and Yogi!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Akeem!!! I wish I could find a copy like that for that price! I never see them around here at all, and if I do, they are stupid pricey.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I guess it depends on how your prefer your 1956 set, but if the price is the same, I would go with the PSA Jackie. Nice pickups!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I think it depends on the slabbed altered card. If it was obviously trimmed... I'd go with the unaltered raw card. But I have seen slabbed cards marked "altered" that look normal to me.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment