September's Sack of Cards

 

I've been on a spending spree lately with a focus on more vintage and set building.  This past weekend's show didn't disappoint.  Surprisingly when I got there attendance was sparse, so that for once I could go through boxes and bins at a relaxed pace.  The lack of attendance also made it easier to converse with dealers and swing better deals.  I had a $100 budget this time (give or take a few bucks) but only spent around $80.  I almost blew that budget (and then some) on a '69 Reggie rookie, that was located near the door and was one of the first tables I checked.  But after making the rounds and picking up these vintage cards, I totally forgot about it!  Oh well, I'm pretty sure I'll see more of them.


This trio of '75 mini's headline a group of 26 I bought.  Unfortunately the Brock has a wax stain on the back but I try to pick these up when I see them.  While my set build is now 18% complete I don't consider it a priority when I'm at shows.


These three '62 Post cards helped fill in some needs and now my set is 39% complete.


I picked up 14 more needs for my '60 set build including a few hi #'s.  It's always fun to see a completion rate climb, and now this set is 62% done.


I added 7 more needs to my '56 build.  The checklist is fully marked, but was still the most expensive card I purchased at $20.  These darn vintage checklists are tough.  The set is now 40% complete (not counting the checklist).


In the 'just for fun' category, I plucked a Garvey game-used memorabilia card for $5.


And along the way one of my favorite soccer players, Tino Lettieri, was signing for free!  So cool to meet and converse with a player I grew up watching.  He signed a few items for me including this 1988 Pacific MISL card.  I reviewed this set awhile ago, here's a LINK if you care to read up on indoor soccer league cards.

There you have it,  Until next time happy hunting!


Comments

  1. Lettieri wins it.
    Must've been a fun show.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your card show hauls are awesome! You're a very productive collector... with these nice vintage set builds. When I hit up shows... I'm never organized and I just hope to find nice dime boxes or quarter bins. I really should start bringing list for my set builds.

    P.S. Did you end up getting that Tino glove signed?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I always have my wantlists with me thanks to this site. It really helps keep me on track. As far as the glove goes...well I traded that away a long time ago to a friend for a couple of 8x10 autos of former North Stars (Don Beaupre and Dino Cicarelli). Kind of wish I still had it though.

      Delete
  3. The Strikers had some pretty good teams. I remember them being on the local TV channels then. I remember Tino.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Neat seeing a Garvey relic even though he hasn't played in over 3 decades

    ReplyDelete
  5. As someone whose also collecting the set, the Post cards stand out the most, but 1960 high numbers are pretty impressive too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice pickups! '56 checklists )marked or not) are a real find. I'm dreading the day when I have to buy them for my set build ;/

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment