Splurging on Cards

 

Card shows can be really fun, especially when you find cards that you really like or need for sets. 
BUT it is a lot like grocery shopping.  You may have heard the saying, "don't go grocery shopping when you're hungry".  If you go grocery shopping when you're hungry you're likely to buy an awful lot of food that might not necessarily be good for you.  I hadn't been to a card show in over a month so I got to scratch that itch, but I was hungry for cards.  Luckily for me I managed to find a seller willing to part with a couple of binders filled with vintage!


Most of this was set needs.  The first binder is filled with cards from '56 - '71 with a couple of '53 Bowman color for good measure.


These commons from 1956 helped push my set build to 37% complete.  I will have some dupes for trade.


I'm not actively chasing the '58 set, but I'll take them when I find them.


I am chasing the 1960 set.  My set build is about 57% complete!  Again, more dupes for trade.


1961 Topps is another set where I have a few cards but its not a priority.


There were a few 67's -71 in the next binder, but also a quite a few more 'modern' cards from 74-80.


1970 is a set I'd really like to complete but just haven't had a chance to sort yet.  Nevertheless, I'll collect the gray border cards anytime.


I am actively chasing the '69 set.  These helped push my set build to 50% complete!  But there's more dupes in here for trade.


There are a number of cards from '74 including these checklists, which may be upgrades.  I'll have a few of these for trade if anyone is working on it.


Blind squirrel found a nut here.  Blue checklists from '73 can be hard to find.


But oh no!  These are marked!  Oh well, a few are keepers anyway.


A few 'modern' cards were in this binder.  If anyone needs 78's hit me up.

The trip to this show set me back a few bucks but overall these cards cost me about 40 cents each, which isn't too bad especially with all the vintage I acquired.  I'm trying to fill in the commons and push up my completion percentage.  I'm hopeful one of these vintage sets will be completed by year's end and I have a few more packages coming in the mail to help out with this goal.

Have a great Labor Day weekend!

Comments

  1. 1970 were the first packs I bought for a dime per pack in the local "dime store" when I was 8. I still have a fair amount of them, but none of the highest value ones. I could probably help your build with what I have. I'm trying to build the 2019 Topps Heritage because it has the same design. I'm down to needing about 60 SP's and about 60 inserts. I'm not looking forward to 90-100 degrees the next few days in central Minnesota. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like you found some good stuff! Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm always jealous of how little you guys have to spend for vintage cards.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Please look over my Topps SET BUILDS want/needs/haves list. I am sure I have some help for yours too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awesome find! So many vintage goodies here, especially those '56 singles!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just curious what 67 Priddy is it & I'm assuming no rubbed out Spiezio from 67 eh.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good stuff. I'd be all over that. I'm collecting '70, '69 and '67. I'm further along than you are so not sure if there's anything I'd need but I have a handful of extras, I should check your wants.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Like Johnny, check out my want and trade lists. I should have some cards for you and you for me. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  9. And you didn't even mention the Campanella!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment