Labor of Love

 

The days are growing shorter and shorter, which means my fishing time has all but ended.  That gives me more time to finally devote to my other hobby - cards!  And with the weather being what it is - cold, rainy and dreary - I've found some time to start organizing again.  I had meant to get my 71's out because I know I'm close to completing that set but instead found a box of 70's.  So with time on my hands I dug in and started to get that year's set organized.

I didn't find just one box though, I found two.  These had been unorganized for years, as I just simply accumulated cards without ever really knowing what I had.  Occasionally some of the big names would make their way into a goody box, but most of what I have sits in 800 count boxes.


As I make my way through, I sleeve individual cards for my 'official' set.  Its a rather tedious endeavor, placing each card into a sleeve.  But you get to know each card and the condition of the set much better.


Of course, I'm accumulating quite the pile of duplicates.  Maybe I'll have enough to complete a second set?   Or if anyone is up a for a trade, I'll have the 1970 want list up soon.  I'm pretty sure I'll have more then half of a second set when done.


Problem is I know there is a 3rd box buried in here somewhere.  I cringe every time I have to dig in here.  I kind of have to psych myself out to get worked up and dive into this.

When this is done, it is one more step toward achieving one of my goals this year.  There are some really good card shows coming up, so maybe - just maybe - I can complete a vintage set by year's end.


Comments

  1. Currently collecting '70 Topps. Don't have a lot of dupes, but a few. I'm in that stage where I mostly need high numbers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so impressed that you have two 800ct boxes of a vintage set such as '70. The cards look fantastic. Have fun sorting, and good luck with the set completion!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those are the first cards I ever bought and ripped. I can safely say I don't have that many left. I know I lost some during our moves over the years. If I knew then what I know now, I would have close to a complete set. Instead I decided to build a 2019 Topps Heritage set. I'm down to about 60 SP's left to go. I've been trying to make some trades on TCDb. It's tough sledding. Thanks for sharing this. I know I would be digging in those boxes!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I HOPE YOU EASILY FIND THAT THIRD BOX! Like Greg I am working on that set too other than 6 cards everything I need is # 577 or higher.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, also working on that set and have a fair amount of dupes. Have about 100 dupes, mostly low-numbered commons. My needs are almost all high numbers or stars.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just looking at that last pic almost makes me want to break into a cold sweat. I'm very glad that I'm not the one that has to deal with all of those.

    ReplyDelete
  7. There are a lot of 1970 Topps in my Time Travel Trading project! Take a look and hopefully there will be some you need!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment