Odds and Ends

 

With the end of year fast approaching I've been trying to catch up on some of my goals.  Notably the goal about getting my vintage sets in order.  Thankfully that project is coming along nicely (for anyone who read my prior posts I did find my 4th box of 1971 baseball!) and I feel like I've actually accomplished something this past quarter - which also reminds me that I didn't post a check in!

Since I have to dig in a bunch of boxes, it's been kind of fun (and not fun at the same time).  I mean, someone has to put those things back in order when this is all done.  But there are some things I've been staring at for awhile.

Take these sets for example.  I'm not sure why I had two but then I noticed the count of cards.  One has ten more then the other and I don't ever remember checking why.


I finally read the fine print!  One has a price guide and the other 10 bonus cards of Bartlett Giamatti and 9 rookie Dream Team cards.  Did I ever want 2 sets of 1990 Score baseball?  Not really but the collector in me looks at this and treats it like a card variation, so I have to have both.


Then I have this.  An unopened box of 1995 Collectors Edge football.  I thought this set looked cool enough but I didn't buy a whole lot of them.  Do I sit on this or open it?  Maybe just sell it?  I might be able to buy the complete set for the cost of this box.


And then I have these taking up space.  I thought these were pretty cool at the time but never once bought a pack.  I came across these at card sale, where boxes were on the cheap.  Do I sell, hold or open these?  I'm not sure.


If you happen to be looking for sleeves that fit mini cards like this 1975 mini, I did a little digging around.  After taking some measurements, I took to the web to find sleeves that would closely match their size.  I came across these sleeves from a company called KMC.  I don't collect Yugioh cards (I have no idea what that is) but apparently those cards are very close in size to the '75 minis.


You can see in the photo the top of the sleeve is a bit long but that's OK.  I never liked the idea of storing these in a standard size sleeve, so I'm happy I found a tighter fit.  Now I need to find a better box to store these in.


Finally I have this.  The last pile of unorganized cards from the 70's.  There are over 2 thousand cards sitting there waiting to be sorted.  I was incredibly happy to see that my 1971 set build is 93% complete, so I'm hoping my 1972 set build will be that close.  The number of hours put in here has been substantial, but it will be worth it when done.  


Comments

  1. Oh man, those 72's. The high numbers are a um PIA. I need a bunch.

    ReplyDelete
  2. 1972's are something worthwhile to go through. The Goudey NFL cards are making me wonder what they actually are, so I looked them up on TCDb.

    ReplyDelete
  3. There's no way that that 1995 Collector's Edge box could've remained unopened with me. I'd love to find a cheap box of that to open at some point (probably after the boom crowd starts moving on).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sometimes I like to sort. Sometimes I don't. I'd have a blast sorting 1972 Topps baseball :D

    As for the unopened boxes... I'd keep one of each unopened (but I'm one of those collectors who enjoys collecting unopened boxes) and open the rest up.

    ReplyDelete
  5. All I know is if that collectors edge box or a box of Goudey need new homes I welcome them!! I would also trade for them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is Matt from Cards Over Coffee

      Delete

Post a Comment