I'm One of Those Guys Now

 

I hope everyone had a great Christmas weekend!  Visiting with family and friends this time of year can be both strenuous and fun, but what made this Christmas just a little better for myself is that one of my daughters paid attention to my hobby.  Ok, so she didn't read my blog post deriding those who carry cases around during card shows, but some of those cases are actually pretty nice.  

And not cheap.  

And now I own one, which makes me one of those guys (at least I haven't carried it to card show...yet).


To my surprise,  I opened a gift and boom, there was a nice hard sided padded case.  The surprise here is actually how she was able to sneak this by me.  I mean, I work at home full-time, so all packages are pretty much picked up by me.  How does one not notice these things?


The case has a lot of room, so now my challenge is to fill this thing with all kinds of slabbed cards.

I've actually spent some time with my daughter explaining a few things about my collection.  I've reiterated a time or two about my 'goody boxes' and that if there were ever a tornado heading toward the house, she needs to grab one of those before finding shelter in the basement.  :)

After I opened the gift, she explained that the cardboard white boxes I currently use are too bulky and clumsy to carry, so while the boxes I value should be protected more then others, she figured the case would be easier to grab and carry.  I can't deny the logic.

This doesn't mean it's the end of my goody boxes, but now that the holidays are winding down, I can settle back into a routine and look for ways to fill this case.  I promise to be careful and not bang into other people at card shows.

I wonder if these things are stackable...hmm.




Comments

  1. I've seen collectors carry these around at shows. Are they fire proof? If so, I'd consider buying one for some of my highend cards. Like you pointed out... if there was an emergency and you need to run and could only carry one box.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Her reasoning behind getting that for you is really quite thoughtful. And I don't know about carrying one around a show, but I could definitely see some purpose for having one around the house, especially if one does have a lot of graded cards.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment