Nonsports Nonsense...European Flair

 

At some point last year I must have had some extra money burning a hole in my pocket.  I was checking out various auctions of cards and other things when I came across 3 lots of interesting, old looking cards.  At first when I saw the card above I thought of Nachos Grande's post of A&G's Flag's of All Nation's.  Those cards are very old (1887!).  So I bid and won, the 3 lots of cards.

So far it seems the cards I have are all German tobacco cards.  And all of them are pre-war.  I've been doing a lot of research on these and there seems to be a dearth of information about these cards.  

For now I'm focused on 3 cards that were all part of the same set.


These cards are about the same size as an American Tobacco cards.  As you can tell these were included with Lloyd Cigarettes.  The bolded line translates to "Shipping flags of the world merchant fleet".  "Bild Nr. 370" translates to "Picture No 370" and the card says this is the Canadian merchant flag for Canadian National Steamships.


This is card 327 and it represents the Belgium merchant flag for Red Star Line.  "Arbeitsbereich" translates to "Workspace".   It's "workspace" was between Antwerp and New York, offering both passenger and cargo service.

The highlight line "Die Sammlung besteht aus 396 Bildern" loosely translates to "The Collection consists of 396 Pictures".  So at least now I know how large the set is.


This card is interesting and represents a French shipping company that operated in and around the Mediterranean sea offering both passenger and cargo services.  As far as I can tell, "CHP" means Compagnie Havraise Peninsulaire, which loosely translated means the Peninsula Harbor Company (my French is rusty).  

The bottom few lines of these cards seems to be an offer of an album for your cards, similar to what Topps or Panini would often do for their stickers.  So there seems to be an album for this set but I have yet to find it.

Judging by ebay, these cards were all issued in 1933 and seem to be very affordable.  However, I don't think I'll be chasing this set yet as I've got other vintage sets to chase.  Nevertheless I found these to be a pleasant distraction from my normal, every day sports cards collecting activity.

There are quite a few of these German tobacco cards to sort through, so I'll be posting more of them as I'm researching their histories so stay tuned!



Comments

  1. Wow, 396 cards? That's much larger than I figured. They're very nicely done, too. I might have to look into this set a little more. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you happen to see this in the next two hours - quite reasonably priced auction on ebay https://www.ebay.com/itm/315064803484?hash=item495b53609c:g:VI8AAOSwS9Zlid4B&amdata=enc%3AAQAIAAAA4OWO7LTlOXfadgdvEVDG68U6Ebe79TAgzUR4hRqXNTY2pT1gwUiqD7OX7vzctV3BRmUutQeWx73%2BRb0cLY9JAaMvO5d7KuZL%2Fsi4DG3iYoN2CHzo8%2B9YNdFfACy4Us5TQ0dQQvyaa7ewHlZhZtxkvMnamFc3yk8ViKyCY1yjU3jDY6Fjb%2FoSQFxHPuwKZ1vvdwhKEyCB9r%2B1TLiYS99qNXE3diokDykNigfYWTpVSKFxzDl8wMLzi%2B57j%2FFJ%2BeuiPmiUSCuCiLLjG4QR7UFoybsjI1P%2FLkf1%2B6HXkb8NDCoW%7Ctkp%3ABk9SR5T-2OmcYw

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kind of bummed I missed that. Looked like a really good deal too.

      Delete
    2. Wow, that was a good deal!

      As for your cards, this would be a fun set to collect. As large as it is though, you probably wouldn't want to do it one card at a time.

      Delete
  3. Man... I love that A&G Flag's of All Nation set. I've been looking to pick up the Japan card for quite some time, but they always sell for more than I'm willing to pay. On the other hand... I just picked up some Brittish tobacco cards from the 30's and they were very affordable. I'm sure there are some outliers... but it seems like vintage European tobacco cards are one of our hobby's hidden treasures.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment