1971 Topps Baseball - The End is Near

 

I feel like I've been working on the 1971 set forever.  Before starting this whole 'get organized' thing (which coincided with the starting of this blog), I had accumulated over 3 - 800ct boxes of these cards.  Sorting through these took a bit of time but I'm glad that part is done.  The odd thing is now that I know exactly what I need to complete this set, it feels like its become just as big a chore to get the remaining cards!  I'm not sure what is worse - staring at boxes of cards that you know someday must be sorted or after those cards are sorted trying to whittle down that want list to complete a set.

So with only 34 cards remaining, I pulled the trigger on this:

Yes its another box of 1971 cards!  This was basically a drastic measure in the hopes this box would yield some much needed commons and possibly a few upgrades.  While I was able to mark off some needs, I still need to assimilate these into the regular set and see if any serve as good upgrades.


Fortunately I found a few to mark off the want list.  I was a bit surprised I still needed this one but glad to check it off now.


These 3 commons were found in the box multiple times.  I'm thrilled to mark these off the list.


Three righties with a common pose.  Check, check and check.


I've always liked this card and now it's in my set.


The checklist is the 'no copyright on back' variation.  Not sure if I'll try to collect the other 2 variations.


I've never heard of Tom Tischinski, but apparently this is a SP so he has that going for him.


I was also happy to knock these off the want list.


Ok, so I cheated here and got this one off ebay.  But hey, I'm getting desperate.

So after all this my set completion is at 97%!  I'm still going to have to schell out some bucks for the Mays, Clemente and that pesky Baker/Baylor rookie.  I also have some cards in transit, but my list is down to only 22 cards.  I'm seeing light at the end of tunnel! 

And in case you're wondering, yes, a few of these are available for trade!  Priority given for 1969, 70 and 72 needs!


Comments

  1. Incredible progress! I remember Tom Tischinski for the Twins. I have very few 71's. I don't think I can help. I'm still working on finishing my 2019 Topps Heritage Baseball set. I'm down to about 55 to find and they are all SP's.

    ReplyDelete
  2. For more on Tischinski and other '71 guys, check out my '71 blog. https://topps1971.blogspot.com/2017/11/no-724-tom-tischinski.html

    I was writing it when I finished the set and yeah it was a project. ... That box of '71s looks wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Like I mentioned before I be interested in some of your extras if you need my list lmk & I'll try to get to you

    ReplyDelete
  4. No idea who Roger Repoz is... but his 1971 Topps card is fantastic. What a great looking baseball card.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That Palmer card is pretty awesome.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment