Quick catch up post

 

So last week, my wife and I drove all the way to North Carolina to see our daughter.  Actually, we decided to clear her stuff out of the house since she moved out there at the beginning of the year.  Flying all that stuff down wasn't an option, so I figured why not drive?  I had a little PTO to take (paid time off for those unfamiliar with the term), but my wife not so much.  Thanks to today's tech, she was able to work from the back seat of my truck, which was a first for us.

Our route took us through 8 states (including MN where I reside) and was largely uneventful save for rush hour construction throughout Indianapolis (that was a nightmare and google failed to warn me about that).  In total, our road trip was over 2500 miles.  The last road trip I remember taking that had almost as many miles was when I drove the family out to Colorado.

Of course while visiting North Carolina, I had to check out the card scene.  I casually mentioned there were some shops in the area and fortunately mom and daughter agreed to go with. Unfortunately the shops we visited didn't have anything that would qualify as vintage.  One of the shops we visited had some dollar boxes and my daughter enthusiastically started combing through.  I told her I was looking for shiny inserts or specific home town players.  She is an avid fan of the Timberwolves so she gravitated toward the basketball boxes.

She quickly pulled these two rookie year cards of franchise players.  The KAT card looks much better in person (the scan doesn't do it justice) and the KG card is awesome.  Pretty good finds.  I will have to take her to more card shops.


In the case I found this LeBron for $10.  It's not close to his rookie season, but at that price I can't turn down a PSA 10 LeBron.

A little while later we visited a second store.  This store had a bunch of non-sport collectibles stashed every which way possible and I had to dig a little bit just to see cards in the cases.

Buried in a dark corner was this retail set of 2013 Bowman Chrome mini's.  This isn't something you see in the wild often and if I remember correctly, the shop owner mentioned this was a set offered only to card shops (I have no way to know if that's true).  Fortunately the shop owner and I were able to agree on a price.  The Aaron Judge rookie is the main attraction in this set.  Not sure if I'll open this.

Unrelated to my trip, but still need to follow up on this, is the purchase of my Topps Now Royce Lewis card which I initially ordered back in October.  You can check the original post about this HERE.


It only took 8 months!  But alas, here it is.

Drum roll please....

Boom!  Numbered to 49, this was worth the wait for this Twins fan.  Okay, maybe 8 months was a bit much to wait for this, but still a really cool card and it is an on-card auto.  NO stickers (thankfully).

I would probably be more likely to purchase Topps Now auto's if the cards didn't take 8 months to arrive.  Nevertheless, it is a cool concept.

Now I'm going to go recover from driving all those miles.  Until next post, happy hunting!


Comments

  1. I wonder if they couldn't get him to sign it in the offseason, and had to wait until spring training, or maybe later

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Topps did mention they couldn't control when a player returns the cards.

      Delete
  2. That Bowman Chrome factory set is cool. I bought one back in 2015 during a D&A Black Friday sale and opened mine up. There are a bunch of colored (and numbered) parallels in there. Maybe there's one of Judge in yours.

    ReplyDelete
  3. They would've had to pay me ten bucks just to take that LeBron, and even then I would've dropped it in the garbage on my way out :)

    And that sounds like obscenely long trip. It's nice to hear that you and the missus made it to and fro safely though.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice finds in NC! Plus you got extra room in your house now!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment