Baseball Greats...According to Kelloggs

1991 Kellogg's Baseball Greats isn't one of the most sought after sets.  But it's always been in the back of my mind as one of those things that someday, I'll complete that set.  That day finally arrived when I saw this set up for auction.  I knew this wasn't the most popular set ever, but even my winning bid of $3 was a bit of a surprise.  Not that I'm complaining.


The busy design of this set belies all the changes you see when the card is rotated up and down.  The dotted line that frames the player moves like the bulbs of a movie marquee.


Unfortunately some of these cards are dinged up, especially that Killebrew.  I'll have to upgrade one or two cards someday.


As you can see by the back of the card, the parent company of Sportflics produced this set for Kellogg's.  


This also came with the frame!  For this picture, the cards were just set into the slots.  However, I don't think I'll be storing it this way.  Check out the bottom row and you can see how the card changes from an action shot to a head shot and the position of the player changes to the player's team.  Maybe I'll display it someday in the card room.

For collectors back in 1991, you could have bought this set for $4.95 plus 2 UPC's of Kellogg's Corn Flakes.  I wasn't much of a corn flakes guy back then, so that may explain why I never completed this set.  I do have one or two loose cards that I'll have to track down and see if they will be upgrades.  Now I'll have to complete the 1992 set...someday.


 

Comments

  1. I had this set with the frame when I was a kid. I lost the frame and most of the cards though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great pickup for $3! Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great deal! I should look for some deals on the 2019 Topps Heritage cards I still need to complete my set. Sportflics are always fascinating.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A. Kellogg's lenticular sets rule! Doesn't matter if they're from 1970 or 1992. Some just rule a little more than others.

    B. That display is kinda cool. I wonder if that came when collectors bought the entire set.

    C. Can't say I was a Kellogg's Corn Flakes guy back in 1992, but I have bought it a couple of times over the years (when it's on sale). It's not bad.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I only have the Ernie Banks and remember these. I think my grandparents ate Cornflakes while we were more Fruity Pebbles, Sugar Smacks and Capn Crunch kids

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment