Button, button, who's got the button?

 

I do that's who!  For those who have never heard of the game 'Button, button', it is a very old game.  I'm not old enough to have played it when I was a kid, but I am old enough to have heard about it.  And I'm pretty sure this game had died off before 1984 rolled around.  

I find it somewhat ironic that as a kid, I had heard of this game but never saw these baseball buttons.  Not that I would have paid them any attention back then.  Buttons just weren't my thing.  Nowadays though, the nostalgic side of me gravitated to this set because 1984 was a prime collecting year for me.  That, and the fact I could pick up a complete set (binder ready) for a mere $5.


For those unfamiliar, these buttons were released 40 years ago by a company called Fun Foods.  My quick internet searches didn't yield any tangible results about the company that released this set.  It appears to be a one and done.  


The buttons feature many of the stars from that era, including a rookie button of Don Mattingly.


Here's a closer look.  The back is simple, with the button number, player position and avg.


In case you were curious, here's the whole 133 button set.

Eagle eyed readers will notice how these are stored.  Whoever put this set together did a nice job using flips, which are typically used for coin collecting.  For a collector who tries to avoid binders, I can see no other way of storing this set.  Now I may have to setup a shelf for binders (sigh).

And if you're interested in reading more on this set, while searching the web for info on these I noticed a fellow blogger did a write up on this set many years ago.  You can check that out here - Wax Pack Hero.  As always, happy hunting.



Comments

  1. My folks found these at an auction they went to and sent me them. I had never seen them before at the time. I wrote about it. https://nightowlcards.blogspot.com/2011/07/well-bust-my-buttons.html

    I probably have two-thirds of the set, haven't added to it since then and still am puzzled by how to store them. I'm not hardcore enough to do what this person did.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Surprised your post didn't show up when I searched for these, but it is a really old post :)
      The coin sheets fit perfectly for these buttons. I never would have thought to do that.

      Delete
  2. Great deal for $5, and they look brand new!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love oddball stuff like this. They're a pain in the butt to store... but I've got to admit they look awesome in those sheets. You got a great deal. I feel like the coin flips alone would set a collector back $5.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I bought a few of these as a kid either from the Hooks Drugstore or 5 and Dime store in my grandparents small town in Illinois.

    Neat way to store these...

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment