Who needs shiny when you have vintage?

 

I've been on a bit of a card binge lately.  Maybe all that time away helped refuel my obsession with cards.  So as soon as I was back from vacation, I was visiting cards shows and looking for set needs online.  Try as I might, focusing on set needs is pretty hard when walking by tables full of cards.  Looking at all those shiny new releases can be distracting and a sense of FOMO kicks in.  Who's the hot rookie?  Which cards are in-demand now?  It becomes easy to think today's hot rookie card will always rise in value.  It's at this time when I snap back to reality and have to remind myself that I lived through the first frenzy of card collecting in the late 80's and 90's.

So I then focus on vintage cards, like this 1970 Willie Mays.  It's not perfect by any stretch of the imagination, but it will work for now as I build this set.


I also picked up these all-stars from the '68 set.  Though I have a box of 68's somewhere, I'm not actively pursing the set (yet).


I also picked this pair of 72's Willie Stargell.  The IA is a set need.


This Willie McCovey is a nice get for my set.  The card is in really good condition.


I don't have many cards from '75 TCMA set so finding this Yount for only $10 was a bonus.  There is some slight staining on the edges and centering is an issue, but I couldn't turn this down.


I may already have this, but it was a throw in by the dealer.  Other than his rookie card, this may be my favorite card of his.  I love the design and if I ever get a chance to meet him again, I might just blow this card up into a poster and have him sign it.


This card is about as shiny as it gets but a 1992 Donruss Elite Kirby Puckett was a no brainer for this Twins fan.  The scan really doesn't do this card justice. 


Finally a football card (it is football season afterall).  1991 Pacific Picks the Pros are actually tough to find in the wild.  This is my second one after my Montana find.  I buy these when I see them.

I've got a bunch of cards I'm waiting on for delivery, almost all of the vintage variety.  And hopefully I'll have a set completion soon.  It's like an early Christmas for me.  Until next post thanks for reading and happy hunting!



Comments

  1. Being a Twins fan my whole life of now 62 years I am very partial to the Oliva and Puckett cards. I still have a fair amount of 1970 Topps cards, but unfortunately not any of the most valuable ones. None of them are NRMT. I'm not sure what you need, but I may be able to help. I have chosen to build the 2019 Topps Heritage set which uses the 1970 design. 1970 were the first cards I ever bought on my own. Vintage is nice!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Both vintage and shiny are great but if I had to choose, I personally go with vintage.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That '75 Yount is my favorite of the bunch.

    I don't seem to have FOMO for new and shiny cards, and I'm totally fine with that. (My wallet is, too.) Looking forward to the next set completion here!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Binging on cards has taken up multiple chapters in the story of my life. Rookie cards. Shiny cards. Vintage cards. Memorabilia cards. Autographed cards. Insert cards. Base cards. Oddball cards. Heck... I even collect damaged cards. I wish I could pick one over the other, but over the years... I've learned that I just have a preference in the moment. Glad you're back to obsessing over cards with the rest of us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This might be one the greatest comments ever. :)

      Delete

Post a Comment