Let's open a hanger from 1989 Fleer

 

A few months ago, my brother and I visited Okoboji, IA where I found a couple of 1989 Fleer baseball hangers for $5 apiece.  I'm pretty sure I have a set of these somewhere but the thrill of maybe pulling a Griffey or Ripken was to tempting.  The hangers are in great shape so hopefully there will be no damage to any of these cards. 

As you can see, the top cards are Joel Skinner, Wally Joyner and Tom Foley.  So without further ado, let's open this!

PACK #1

    Card #1: Joel Skinner.  Never heard of this guy before now.


Card #2: Randy Johnson RC!  Too bad it's not the Marlboro version (which I still need) but I'll take it.


Card #3: Kirk McCaskill.  Meh.


Card #4:  George Bell.  Now here's a name from the 80's.


Card #5:  Doug Jennings.  Doug looks excited to be playing for the A's.


Card #6:  Tommy Gregg.  Nice last name.


Card #7:  Pat Borders.  I actually remember this name.


Card #8:  Jose Lind.  Another name I recognize from back then.


Card #9:  Kirby Puckett.  Sweet another Puck for the PC.


Card #10:  Joe Orsulak.  Nope, don't remember this guy.


Card #11:  Eddie Murray.  Yep I sure remember this guy.


Card #12:  Bruce Sutter.  Back to back Hall of Famers.


Card #13:  Felix Fermin.  Have no idea who this guy is.


Card #14:  Ken Griffey Jr.  Sweet!


Sticker #1:  The Padres!  Cool stuff.


PACK #2


Card #1:  Wally Joyner.  There was a lot of hype around this guy.


Card #2:  Fred McGriff.  Solid player.


Card #3:  Todd Burns.  Have no idea who this is.


Card #4:  David Palmer.  I think we all see where pack #2 is going.


Cards #5 and #6:  David Wells and Doug Drabek.  A couple of solid 80's pitchers.


Card #8:  Dan Gladden.  Nice to see a future WS hero.


Cards #9 and #10:  Jose Bautista and Ken Gerhart.  That's four O's already.


Card #11:  Benny Distefano.  Who?


Cards #12 and #13:  Mike Schooler and Jose Deleon.  Not who I was hoping for.

Card #14:  What the heck?  Where is it?  Someone call a cop, I've been robbed!


Sticker #2:  New York Mets


PACK #3


Card #1:  Tom Foley.  If you're an Expos fan you need this card.


Card #2:  Charlie Leibrandt.  The "And we'll see you tomorrow night" pitcher.  Every Twins fan in the 1991 WS knew the Twins were going to hit well against him.


Card #3:  Mark Grant.  Very surprised to learn he lasted 8 years in the majors.


Card #4:  Richard Dotson.  Didn't he host Family Fued?  Oh wait that was Dawson.


Card #5:  Alan Ashby.  In the 80's I might have pulled more Ashby's from packs than any other common.


Card #6:  Jack Howell.  The cards in this pack have been underwhelming.


Cards #7 and #8:  John Cerutti and Lance Blankenship.  I have nothing.


Cards #9 and #10:  Bob Dernier and Jim Clancy.  I only remember Clancy.


Card #11:  Bobby Bonilla.  One of the smartest businessmen in baseball.


Card #12:  Juan Berenguer.  In the movie Moneyball, they made Berenguer look way too skinny.


Card #13:  Rick Schu.  Somehow this guy lasted 9 years in the majors.


Card #14:  Roger Clemens.  I totally forgot this insert set existed!  I had to look it up!


Sticker #3:  New York Yankees.

Despite being robbed of that 42nd card that was promised on the packaging, this was a fun exercise going down memory lane.  After seeing what was pulled in pack #1 I honestly felt the rest would be commons and maybe I should've just ended this post there but I just couldn't hold back.  I have a second hanger to open, but can lightning strike twice?  I'll save that for a future post.

Until next time, happy hunting!




Comments

  1. Nice pulls Crocodile. At least it wasn't 99 degrees outside today. Enjoy it all!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Griffey and Johnson. Very nice pack. Maybe you'll pull the Billy error card in the next one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. No idea how you're going to beat that first pack.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You can see a couple of examples of the inconsistent border colors for A's cards in this set.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment