The Temps are Dropping but the Collecting is Heating Up

 

Mother nature has flipped the script around here - no more 90+ degree days in the forecast.  The overnight chills with temps dropping into the 50's & 60's feels refreshing.  I've even heard some places 'up north' had a first freeze.  That seems incredible given we're halfway through September.  I'm not complaining, I don't mind the cooler temps but I sure wish we'd get some rain.

So while I'm waiting for the rain to come, I've been slowly working on my hobby room upgrades.  I decided on the first color I had chosen using an online visualizer, however when I started painting I realized it's a little more reddish than the visualizer made it look.  The sample I had even looked ok when I applied it to the wall, but now I have 2 gallons of paint that I'm not sure I'm going to like.  Oh well, no looking back now - I'm going for it.

The other update to provide is that finally, my 1972 set build is done!  I'll highlight this in another post.

Finally, let's look at some cards.


I picked up a nice lot for my 1969 set build - only 8 more cards to go.  I might actually complete 2 vintage sets this year!


These two are nice additions for my 1970 set build.  It's probably hoping for too much to complete 3 vintage sets this year, as I still need about 50 cards.


I'm not building these sets (yet) but I couldn't turn away from this trio of Seavers.


I've been gravitating toward this set for awhile and when I saw this Rizzuto I couldn't resist.


This Williams has seen better days, but this card can spend it's retirement years in my collection.


This is another set I have been warming up to.  For $5 why not add another?


I'm happy to finally have this card in my collection.  I'll build this set someday.


I'm long overdue for an update on my 1973 Frankenset, so here is one to add to the build.  Nicely off-centered but there's got to be something 'better' out there.


The last card to showoff is this 1938 Churchman's card of Jesse Owens that I found irresistible.  He looks to have a contorted face as he crosses the finish line.

That all for now, until next time happy hunting!


Comments

  1. Congrats on all the big pick-ups!

    Among those Seavers I happen to be collecting the first two ('77 Hostess is finished). They are both super-challenging these days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And thanks for the feedburner suggestion, that is easy to use and it works well

      Delete
  2. great work on those vintage sets!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The change in the weather is nice. 95 degrees is TOO HOT for me! The rain is needed and might be done for the night. Great cards you picked up and nice work on your sets. Enjoy it all!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice pickups! I hope the weather in Texas cools down soon lol

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations on completing the 72T set and on some really cool pickups. Love that 54T Ted Williams and the 34 Churchman's Jesse Owens!

    P.S. It cooled off a little this week in my neck of the woods too, but I think we're heading right back into the 80's and 90's next week.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It froze here last night. I guess my corn has no chance now, I didn't cover it!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment