LCS Pickup - 1980 Kellogg's

I thought I'd do a quick follow up to the 1979 Kellogg' post to wrap up the past weekend's find. This is another set I'm pretty sure I have a card or two lost in the collection. I'm not sure why I like these sets. Maybe its the size of the card, the 3-D effect or the simple but colorful layout and who could resist checking these out when eating a big bowl of cereal?

In 1980 Kellogg's stuck to the same script, pretty much following up 1979 with an identical 60-card set (with a few player changes). This set has a lot of star power, and according to TCDB none of the variations that you see in the 1979 set. Though it would seem Kellogg's really didn't put much effort into this, I am liking the starred blue border which stands out (the cards also seem to scan much better). Just like the prior year, you'll need a magnifying glass to read the back but that's OK by me.

The photos, like the prior year are your typical poses. The hitters are kneeling or holding a bat and the pitchers are kneeling or supposedly following through on a pitch. You won't find anything that looks remotely like an action shot. In fact Seaver and Niekro are the only players holding a baseball. 

These might be the two of the more interesting cards because they look so much alike! I'm pretty sure these guys could have exchanged ID's back then and no one would be the wiser.

The card back is very much like the 1979 set. Same stats, same tidbits, same logos. You might not recognize the difference save the top and bottom blue border. The card back is also a reminder of why I didn't collect these back then, I don't like raisins!

Seeing Rod Carew in an Angels uniform still hurts. If only Calvin would have paid the man he may never have jumped to the coast. They got it right this time by adding Mike Schmidt (and Nolan Ryan). 

Condition wise this is a great set, the photos in this set seem to be a bit more clear and the white border actually looks...white. The curl is subdued and there are no cracks. I had no fear placing these cards on the flatbed scanner.

 Now if I could just find a good way to store these things.



Comments

  1. Awesome set. Within a season or two... Sutter was rocking that iconic thick beard. Maybe he didn't want to be confused with Gorman at the 1982 World Series.

    Not sure how you feel about top loaders, but that's what I use to store my Kellogg's sets. The rigid plastic prevents these cards from curling. The downside is it takes up a lot of space and depending on the availability in your area... top loaders can be pricey.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd be inclined to use top loaders if they fit the card. Unfortunately I haven't seem any this size. The tobacco sleeves would be close, but they're too small.

      Boy why are these comments in such a small font? I'm going to have to look into this.

      Delete
  2. Fun set for sure. Interesting to hear the lament on Carew with the Angels. He was with the Angels when I started following baseball, and was always one of my top favorites. High batting average always grabbed my interest. But I can see from a Twins fan perspective how stupid it was to let him go!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At least we got Ken Landreaux and his 31 game hitting streak, but then he was immediately dealt to the Dodgers.

      Delete

Post a Comment