Tales From the Binder - North Stars Memories

I really wasn't sure what to name this post, maybe I'll come up with something more catchy next time.  While I have noted my dislike for keeping cards in binders, there are a few items that make perfect binder material (at least to me).  This includes 8x10's and other oddball collectibles such as the old Donruss 3x5 cards or those giant photo cards Topps made back in the day.  I'm not really sure you can call anything larger than a 2.5 x 3.5 piece of cardboard a card, at some point it has to be just a photo right?

Anyway, I decided to change things up as it has been all about cards lately.  While I don't mind blogging about cards, there are other items in the collection calling out to be seen.  Items such as old sports magazines that were collected by me long, long, long, long ago.

I was a huge fan of the North Stars.  When they moved it not only a left gaping hole in my hockey heart, but a bitter taste in my mouth for all things professional sports.  There had been rumors swirling for a long time that the Gunds were going to sell the team and it would move out of town.  That's when a guy named Norm Green stepped in to "save" the franchise.  I would attend games during this time and along with many fans, chant "Norm!" (yes it's also a Cheers reference).  At first, he was magnanimous. I remember attending a game where he walked the corridor at the Met Center, and the chant would start.  I don't remember him saying anything, but he did seem to smile.

The fan's affinity for Norm quickly turned into a vile hatred for the man who decided to move the franchise South.  The Met Council or the city of Bloomington - I'm not sure which - decided to not approve or provide any subsidy for improvements to the stadium or Norm's grand idea of adding a shopping mall adjacent to the stadium.  Norm was somewhat prescient, as a few years later the largest mall in America was built on nearly the same location as the Met Center.

This is one of the magazines fans could purchase at a game.  I had bid on some items and a handful of autographed magazines were in the lot.  When I saw one was autographed by Basil McRae, I had to have it.  McRae was known as an enforcer with the North Stars and wasn't afraid to mix it up.  The date of this game was Jan 16, 1988 and the Stars won the game 4-2.  This cover is also signed by another player, but I can't decipher it.

This game magazine is from Feb 19, 1988 and is signed by Craig Hartsburg.  The Stars lost this one to Quebec by a score of 3-7.  The North Stars were in a rebuild mold and times were lean.

Next up is fellow defenseman, Gordie Roberts.  He was a fan favorite for 8 years and according to Wikipedia was named after Gordie Howe, whom he got to play with when he was with the Whalers. This magazine is dated Jan 9, 1988 and the North Stars lost to the Devils 3-4.

Unfortunately, not all of my magazines are signed.  Not sure who wrote a '2' over Curt Giles number, but that's a bit unsavory.  I do intend to have Ciccarelli and Steve Payne sign their covers if the opportunity arises.  You'll note the Goal cover for Dino.  Goal was the NHL's publication and I'm not even sure its printed anymore.

Oh look another Hartsburg!  Hold on, its the same cover but a different game.  The North Stars won this game, 4-2 over Montreal.  Perhaps whoever designed this got the idea of recycling photos from Topps.

Speaking of Montreal, this is a signed copy of future North Star coach, Bob Gainey.

This one is another fan favorite, Brian Bellows.  This is dated 1/27/88 and the North Stars earned a 2-1 victory over the Islanders.  After the North Stars moved South, Brian moved North to Montreal and helped the Canadiens win a Stanley Cup.


Nothing highly valued here, but interesting nonetheless. Inside one the magazines was this special access pass for Frank Kirkwood.  I'm assuming this is the person who once owned these magazines and apparently he had obtained some of these autographs, or at least attended a few games.  This isn't something you find all the time and it's a neat piece of history.

This insert was found in each magazine.  The update on the club's lack of success against Detroit back then is obviously a concern.

Also most of the magazines included a score card.  The back side of this was autographed by Shawn Chambers and Rick Boh.  Rick managed to play all of 8 NHL games.  

Another insert.  Looks like a media write up, perhaps a few facts for a TV/radio analyst to talk about.
The North Stars were so banged up, even the team trainer was out.  Also curious to note the drop in attendance over three years.

Here is the biggest surprise of them all.  I found a score card signed by Neal Broten, Curt Giles (?), Basil McRae, Kari Takko and none other than Herb Brooks!  Woohoo!  This came as a complete surprise to me, but when you think about that "special access pass" and the fact that Brooks coached the Stars it makes sense.

Finally I found an old Met Center events calendar.  The North Stars and the indoor soccer club, Strikers shared the facility.  1988 was the last year the Strikers were in Minnesota.  After that they moved back to Fort Lauderdale.

Despite the team not winning every game, when I look back on those years I only remember the good times.  When you can pull out a binder and take a stroll down memory lane such as this, it reinforces the reason why I started collecting in the first place and now I can't wait to dig out a couple more binders!


Comments

  1. I love game programs from this time period, as I was a kid learning all about hockey. You know what else I love? Those North Stars uniforms. In just a couple of years they'd have Mike Modano on their team, and would make that surprise run to the Stanley Cup finals. Good times.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I used to really be into collecting game programs, but lack of storage space forced me get rid of them. I had a bunch of SJ Sharks programs that I tried to sell at the flea market (probably for a buck), but don't think I made a single sale. Pretty sure I let my students have them.

    P.S. Congratulations on adding a Herb Brooks autograph to your collection!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment