Another Brick in the Wall, part 5: Supersized Wrapup

 

These last few years consist of an era when Topps went big and I'm not talking about the size of the set.  Starting in 2006, Topps offered a larger than normal boxed version of its retail set.  The boxes were about 40% larger than a regular retail set.  This was an in-your-face incentive for collectors to buy their product.  It consisted of a reprint or chrome card of a baseball legend.  Also, there were multiple versions of the player card, so collectors had to choose which card they wanted (or simply buy multiple sets to collect all of these chase cards).

When I first saw this, I assumed it would be a short lived gimmick.  Initially I really wasn't interested in collecting these special cards.  Of course, that's more of the traditionalist side of me.  Obviously, I took the bait in the ensuing years.

It's pretty easy to tell the difference in the size of the boxes.  For comparison, the 2006 set is quite smaller then the others.  It was a bit of a surprise Topps decided to throw some money into packaging and marketing sets that averaged 660 cards each. 


2006
I've mentioned I wasn't enamored with the supersized boxes, so my set from 2006 is the regular offering.  Though I have seen the supersized set that was offered by a big box retailer that features Mickey Mantle on the box.

Who's on the box:
Top:  Barry Bonds
Front: Alex Rodriguez, Ichiro, Barry Bonds, Chipper Jones, Albert Pujols, Manny Ramirez
Back: checklist

Solid list of players in their prime.  Topps also included the full checklist on the back of the box.


2007
The photo shows the top of the box, with the incentives for collectors to buy the supersized version.  
I thought $60 was pretty stiff at the time, but the 1957 Mantle is one of my favorite cards, so I had to have this.  The caption on the card claims it is an authentic game-used memorabilia card.  However the fabric is a brown plaid that doesn't make sense for a Yankee great.  The set also offered Ted Williams cards the never was.

Who's on the box:
Top:  Ted Williams, Mickey Mantle
Front:  David Wright, David Ortiz, Ryan Howard, Alex Rodriguez, Albert Pujols, Daisuke Matsuzaka
Back: checklist

6 players again, but Topps once again highlighed Mantle on the box.  Topps also continued putting the checklist on the back of the box.  


2008
Another Mantle incentive for collectors, with Topps using the tag line "own a piece of the Mick!".  Nothing says "buy me!" more than that!

Who's on the box:
Top:  David Wright, Mickey Mantle
Front: Ichiro, Albert Pujols, Manny Ramirez, Alex Rodriguez, David Ortiz, David Wright
Back: checklist

Pujols makes the box three years in a row!  That's the first time this has happened, but there's clearly a trend here.  Topps has been using most of these names for three years running.  However I don't get the love for David Wright.


2009
No surprise Mantle makes the box top 4 years in a row!  Topps was really milking this connection.  Instead of a game-used memorabilia card, Topps produced a commemorative patch card.  Though this picture doesn't show it, this is the first I can remember ever seeing a hazard warning on a box of cards.
That's correct, baseball cards are recommended for ages 6+.

Who's on the box:
Top:  Mickey Mantle
Front: Albert Pukols, Chipper Jones, Ryan Howard, David Wright, Ichiro, Evan Longoria
Back: checklist

Topps really has a love affair for Albert Pujols.  At least David Wright wasn't featured on the box with Mickey Mantle again.


2010
Topps ended their relationship with Mickey Mantle and so they added a special chrome Babe Ruth card instead.  At least the price dropped $10.

Who's on the box:
Top: Prince Fielder, Albert Pujols, Mark Teixeira, Babe Ruth
Front: Ichiro, CC Sabathia, Stephen Strasburg, Ryan Howard, Albert Pujols, Evan Longoria
Back: Prince Fielder, Albert Pujols, Mark Teixeira,

For that time this is a fairly strong cast of players.  Topps promoted the next "sure thing" in Stephen Strasburg.  Also, the checklist was moved to the bottom of the box.


2011
Another set with a special chrome Babe Ruth card.  This boxed set also features a baseball stadium as a backdrop, which is kind of a nice touch.

Who's on the box:
Top:  Jason Heyward, Albert Pujols, Ichiro
Front: Albert Pujols, Jason Heyward, Buster Posey, Josh Hamilton, Adrian Gonzalez, Ichiro
Back: Jason Heyward, Albert Pujols, Ichiro

No one has had a longer run on the box than Pujols, though Ichiro isn't far behind.  Also the checklist was found on the bottom of the box again.

Conclusion
This era of sets featured larger than normal boxes as Topps made a strong push to get us set collectors to buy in.  A little research shows that Topps released both supersized sets that featured memorabilia or chase cards, as well as a basic retail set.  Also Topps kept the set size consistent for these 6 years averaging 660 cards each and from what I've seen 660 cards has become the norm.  As much as I like some of these memorabilia cards, I certainly would not buy multiple sets to chase down each version, though I'd probably pick some up in the wild if I saw them.  

Now to wrap up this series of posts as I'm out of retail sets!  I've explored what I call five eras of boxed retail sets within 26 years.  For me, this was interesting to see how Topps approached marketing each set from the junk wax era through 2011.  You get a sense of how the market was acting based on the effort Topps put into each set.  From the original large sets to the smaller "downsized" sets, and all the extra goodies to chase.  It has been an up and down and up again, run for Topps.

From a collecting standpoint, I've got to reserve alot of shelf space for these, which I don't mind, as I'm not sure I'd enjoy collecting these years as much as the vintage years. There is also a part of me that feels like buying a retail set is a lazy way of collecting.  However, as a set collector it makes sense.  
I also haven't decided if I'm going to fill in the gap to have a complete run of retail sets.

I hope this has been informational to anyone who's got a stash of retail sets.  It's certainly been interesting to do a bit of research on each set.  Now I can get finally get to blogging about other good stuff.


Comments

  1. None of these are familiar to me. I also have been conditioned to consider buying the entire set "lazy," but with the collecting issues today, including availability, collation and price, I think if you want the whole set just buying it is the way to go.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The only reason I own a Mantle relic card is because I stumbled across one of those 2008 factory sets at a flea market. Kudos to Topps for creating those factory set exclusive relics. I think they offered up some value to collectors.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wright was a good player and he played for a New York City team.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wasn't collecting at the time, but even so, I find it hard to believe that that many people would care about owning contemporary Mickey Mantle cards in the late 2000's. Maybe I'm wrong, but it just seems weird to me that Topps was pushing that so hard.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment