Hammerin' Hanks

 

Unfortunately for me, Hank Aaron had hung up his cleats before I remember ever watching a baseball game.  However, as a student of the game, it was all but impossible not to hear his name whenever someone started talking about baseball.  When I began collecting, the closest I could get to a Hank Aaron baseball card was a combo card from the Topps 1979 set that highlighted baseball's best players.  Nowadays, whenever I find affordable Aaron cards, I jump.

Such was case for me recently when I came across a few cards of Hank that I felt we're not only priced right, but could also help my set builds.


First up, this combo All Star card from 1974.  I've completed this set so this card, much like the cards from 1970 and 1975 pictured above, may serve as an upgrade for my second set.  


Next up is a very nicely centered 1973 Aaron.  I've always found the '73 set to be tough to find this well centered, so this may serve as a nice replacement.


I was stoked to see this card at a bargain rate of less than $10.  This gives my 1962 Post set build a very nice boost.  

Finally a 1956 Aaron.  I consider this to be one of the "big ones" from this great set.  Totally thrilled to finally own this card.  A little soft on the edges but no creases.

To be able to knock off the 1962 Post and '56 cards from the checklist is a relief.  I kind of consider the rest of the lot a bonus.  I'm not sure how many cards I own of Hank Aaron, but I'm certain you can't own too many.

Comments

  1. Wow on the 56! Love it. I was saving to try and get a beat up Aaron RC before the pandemic. But now even horrible copies are far out of my range.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice pickup! The '73 is the only one from his playing days that I own.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aaron cards are always great, especially vintage ones. Nice to see the 1970 card in that lot as well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That was a nice lot. I like the Post card myself, and unfortunately still need a copy for myself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry, didn't realize that I had typed 'myself' twice. That was a pretty good one, even for me :)

      Delete

Post a Comment